Beginner Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Trumpet1992

Trumpet1992 New Friend

Feb 14, 2008
    It might all depend on what mouthpiece you start on, I remember when i started trumpet, my parents ordered one for me with a 7C mouth piece, i had a really hard time playing low notes ((even an C or a D was hard)) but now i've gotten used to it.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    5 weeks is a VERY short time. I think after 6 months you should have range from low G below the staff to high G on top. That is enough to play some pretty awesome tunes!

I find as a teacher, the most important part is to instill an appreciation for the progress that has been made and anticipation of what is to come. I try and give mine repertory that matches their range so there is ALWAYS something to rejoice in. I start my kids on double tonguing after a couple of lessons too.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
    misty.sj likes this.
  3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    God, I wish I had been taught double-tonguing from the start. I could never master it well, even while playing French horn at the collegiate level. I'm already trying it on trumpet and making very slow progress.

As far as the repertoire, I think that is part of why I stuck with it in junior high. Every few pages was an actual song that I could recognize. And when we finally got to the point of playing harmony, I remember I couldn't stop myself from grinning every single time there was a chord. It was so fun!

I remember being so confused by 6/8 time, until we played "The Addams Family."

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Ahh, OK, yeah, low-G to high-G will enable me to play some awesome stuff that's for sure.

This is a lot of fun, really, I can pick out stuff I hear, last night something, some little violin riff was on TV in the other room and I played it lol.

I need to get an Arban's, I'll see about that next time I'm in town.

misty.sj likes this.
  5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    One game that me and my friends used to play in high school (this was the '70s) was to watch tv and just occasionally pick up the horn and try to play a riff or melody we had just heard. It's a GREAT ear training exercise in a non-pressured, casual environment.
    Oh, and if you can get DVDs of cartoons from the 50s to about halfway through the 70s there's usually GREAT playing in the music tracks. I'm thinking about things like the old Carl Stalling stuff or even things like the Jetsons or Flintstones. They had great scores played by killer studio guys....most people never really hear the stuff because it's finely crafted 'program' music, but if you really zero in on the stuff a lot of it is really impressive.

bigtiny

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

That's funny, I've been thinking about that, lots of neat little riffs and stuff on TV. Not sure if I can get away with doing that but I can try.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Playing in front of the TV is a good challenge - family get a bit peeved though - they reckon I should wait for the adds.

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Yeah, playing in front of the TV is great but - not when anyone else is around!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!
    not paying attention while playing is the most musically destructive thing that you can do to yourself. This concept is an absolute DISGRACE to playing trumpet. The difference between good and bad is the attention to detail. There is so much going on when playing that we often have to even concentrate on single aspects of playing. How can anyone be so bored with what is happening during playing that they need additional TRASH in the background. I don't think I have ever read ANYTHING at TM that got me this upset!

Please sell your instrument and take up couch potato for a living. That is perfect for TV in the background!

10. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

No, not necessarily..... it's the ability to switch attention and focus on replicating something you've just heard. The ability to tune OUT the trash.

What are you going to do if you're in an orchestra and someone sneezes?