Beginner trumpet chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YTR-2335, Mar 25, 2006.

1. YTR-2335

YTR-2335 New Friend

Mar 25, 2006
    Hello all I just started playing the trumpet about 3 weeks ago and I am struggling. I can usually get a fair sound for maybe 15 min or so and then it just goes away. I guess my lips swell. I can lay off for several hours and get another 15 min or so or sometimes just have to wait til the next day. Will this get better with time? I mean will my endurance improve? Is the trumpet really this hard to play or am I doing somthing wrong? I am waiting for the local trumpet teacher to call me to get some lessons but for now I'm on my own.

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    That's pretty normal for the first few weeks of playing; however, you should start trying to increase your time. Just keep focused on saying the letter M and then rolling the lips in just a little bit. Don't let the mouthpiece pin your lips open.

Good luck!

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Since you are planning on taking lessons, it would be best for you to not play untill you are at your first lesson.

4. Ari

Ari New Friend

Mar 22, 2006
    YTR-2335: we are in the same situation. In fact, I´ve got and YTR-2335 trumpet too :)

Can somebody answer me about buzzing? How important is this? I cant buzz a note over e (the lowest on the clef) without "smiling". I´ve read alot about embouchures, and think i´ve figured out a good one. My teacher also went along with my embouchure. Sometimes (espescially in the low og upper middle register) I must struggle to make my lips vibrate. Is this because me not beeing used to buzzing? What can i do to improve this?

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    If you are having trouble making your lips vibrate, might I suggest you making sure they are tight and blow more air through.

6. YTR-2335

YTR-2335 New Friend

Mar 25, 2006
    You're probably righ but I want to play it so I simply can not refraim. The other thing is the trumpet teacher has not called me back yet to set somthing up. I have called several times and left messages but no response. Maybe he is not taking on new students or somthing so I may be on my own. :-(

7. Ari

Ari New Friend

Mar 22, 2006
    i´m sure you can find another teacher. Just visit your local music shop and leave a note or something.

8. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I dont think you should focus on a precise chop set, just get with a good teacher so he/she can make sure you are not doing anything detrimental to tone production and then do what feels natural.