beginner trumpeter with some questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skakidalex, Jul 13, 2008.

1. skakidalex

skakidalex New Friend

Jul 13, 2008
    hello all,

well, I got my first trumpet a few weeks ago, since then I've been able to make a solid noise but no bonified notes, at least not to my knowledge. Seeing as that I'm learning all on my own, I'm looking for a way to identify notes without going to my dad's and getting my guitar tuner. If anyone can recommend any programs for identifying notes for free and for macs, I'd appreciate it :)

oh, and if it could show me what fingering I should me making that would be an added bonus :)

For those who care this is what I plan on. First, I wanted to make a noise without any sputtering, then getting some range in the noise, then get some notes out, then learning them on the staff. Any suggestions here would also be appreciated :)

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Learning to play trumpet all by yourself could be very difficult. You at least need someone to show you how to find the first few notes in your beginner book. You do have some beginner book, don't you? It works as a guidepost for learning your way around the instrument.

3. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Here's a site with fingering and shows the corresponding note on the piano (remember trumpet is in B flat - so C on trumpet is B flat on piano - you'll see an R on the chart above B flat on the piano keys):

Trumpet Fingering chart

and here is an on-line piano so you can hear the note:

Play the piano online! - a Virtual Piano Online - Java Piano

Good idea to get a good book (Arban's is pretty complete - somewhat overwhelming for a beginner - but its all there) - and if you can - get a teacher or mentor (another trumpet player).

Best of luck!

4. blueicedj

blueicedj New Friend

Jul 13, 2008
    California/Nevada
    ok, so if you have a mac, you already have a built in tuner. Open up garageband. Click control, then click show tuner in LCD. Play a note and the mic on your computer should be able to tell you what you are playing. *if you are just starting out though this might not be the best solution for you as you probably wont be playing the notes perfectly in tune. This might cause the tuner to tell you you are playing a different note, or change inbetween notes. Anways, hope this helped you.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Skakidalex,
    is there ANY way that you could get lessons? DIY trumpet normally teaches bad habits that take YEARS to fix afterwards. I would not start without any help!

6. Zlatko

Zlatko New Friend

Apr 26, 2008
    Ajax, Ontario
    Hello Skakidalex

Look in your local library for books and instructional videos.

Listen to rowuk. A teacher is important. When I first started, I thought I'd work on my own first. I didn't want to spend money on a teacher just to get the first note out. One of the bad habits I picked up was an open embouchure. I didn't know it was a bad thing until 8 months later when I tried to play something over a minute long and found I had no endurance, and unreliable attacks. Now I'm working on changing it but its better to start the correct way.

Since you are asking for fingering, I assume you don't even have a book. From personal experience and as stated by Eric Bolvin, author of the Arban guide, the Arban is not a beginner book. Look for a much smaller and less expensive book such as one used in beginning band and don't worry if it looks like a kids book.

You don't really need a tuner but its nice to have. The lowest note you'll get as a beginner with all valves up is C below the staff. The next one up with all valves open is G. Brass instruments have the property of locking in notes so if you get a nice trumpet sound, you can be pretty sure you are close to the note.

I found the links on //bbtrumpet.com/1-50/ very useful.

7. rebx_92530

rebx_92530 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Ya it is so worth it to get a teacher. I didnt for the longest time and i built up so really TERRIBLE habits (some of which i still haven't fixed) If you really serious about the horn it is a really valuable investment.

Zlatko is right Arban is agood book, but it can be a little intimidating as on the first page i think you go up to like a high G! Just stay low for a bit and dont try to strain yourself