Beginner with (low) range problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmavillarica, Jan 24, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Duplicate Post

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Another duplicate post

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    you might want to read the Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment thread

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Even with 12 lessons in 1.5 months, you are behaving like the impatient trumpet player we all know and love (and who's in our mirror). Play what you can and take your time, and it will come. There is good advice here, but at this point your teacher is the one to rely upon.

v

5. rmavillarica

rmavillarica New Friend

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi all,

Just an update...

The advice not to get a new mouthpiece came right after I bought a 14B4 mouthpiece, which instantly helped.

I also tried the breathing. It seems to help when I can avoid that moment of tension before exhaling.

In addition, I also took a web cam lesson with Clint 'Pops" McLaughlin (I hope that will not offend my current teacher) and that helped much more. He was like an "embouchure whisperer!" With guidance from him, I am able to produce notes almost at will. Previously, my sound felt like it was just barely there and it took quite a bit of effort and balancing/tweaking just to get a clean sound out. Now, admittedly, my sound is not yet very pretty, but it no longer feels like I am playing a (trumpet) slot machine.

We worked on relaxing, whistling, aligning the lips, breathing, and keeping the corners in, which will keep me busy for a while I think.

Thank you to all who replied!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You might want to go to the "Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment" thread found in the Trumpet Discussion Page. There's some great advice and if I'm reading your post correctly, there are also ways to fix your particular problem.

7. Jon7C

Jon7C New Friend

Dec 3, 2009
    Ix

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too am an advocate of the "Trumpet School of Rowuk" and the Circle of Breathing method works a treat, doesn't it? BUT (and it's a big but), when I cameback to the trumpet, I used the MP that came with my trumpet in 1962 - it is marked 6A (God alone knows what that means) my tutor suggested a Benge 3C (old Bach 3C pattern) and both ends of the range immediately fell into place - but notice, it was based on professional advice by a trumpet playing trumpet teacher, and after about 4 months of lessons. The Circle of Breathing works for me too - great concept. Above all have fun.

9. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Hi Jon7C,
    From what I understand, Kanstul is still US made, and of course Monette is hand crafted / built in the US. You can take a look at Austin Winds for the Kanstul horns, as they have contracted with Kanstul to build their design of horn as many other companies have as well. But they are reasonably priced and great horns.

Keith