Beginners Question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    At the moment i have just hired a trumpet for a little while just to experiacne and make sure i like the instrument to carry on with it. I just want to know when i go for my own trumpet. What is a good one to get for a begginer and resonable in price. Maybe less than $1000. I am only a Student so lol i dont have much money yet!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    don't worry about what instrument to buy yet. Get your chops together and work with your teacher when you have enough money together. There are at least a thousand posts on "what trumpet" here at TM. Use the search feature, read them and you will be well on your way.

My take is, once you have reached a certain amount of proficiency, play EVERYTHING that you can get your hands on and take notes. Your first purchase should involve at least a year of research! Then you can tell us what works best!

3. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Hi hitman,Any of the well known brands are what I would stick with,such as Kanstul,Besson,yamaha getzen bach etc.Your teacher should be the one to help you to pick a horn since he has the best angle on your playing traits.Go to wwbw.com if you want to get a look at some of the most popular beginner-intermediate horns available. Here they are catagorized nicely by playing level and price here.Good luck

4. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with the comments about playing everything you can get your hands on, and do at least a year's worth of research before buying. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so you need the chops before a good horn will make any difference anyway. Also, you need time to decide if trumpet is really your cup of tea. My advice is to come to the issue of what horn to buy without any preconceptions. Bach Strads were all the rage when I was coming up (still are). I tried several. Great horns, but just didn't suit me. Then I tried an LA Benge 3X+ and THAT was the horn for me (BTW - Excellent examples of the LA Benge go for a song used - well under $1,000). But don't take anyone's word for anything. When you're ready, you'll understand your own needs and preferences and be able to make a good choice from all of the great brands out there, new and used.

Trumpets:

1976 LA Benge 3X+
    1952 LA Olds Ambassador

Olds Ambassador Cornets:

1959 (x2)

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    wow thanks for the answers. I will. But first let me get at least a C note out of the trumpet lol.

6. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Good advice from all. Any name brand will get you started. Just please, PLEASE, don't buy one of those cheap Chinese horns off ebay! They're more frustration than they're worth.

7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    some people say its ok some people say its not??

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ouch Hitman - at least you didn't waste much money.

Follow ROWUK's advice and you will not go very far wrong. :thumbsup:

Any instrument imported into Oz will be more expensive than you think - or it will be junk. I have spent a lot of time looking, playing, assessing, getting it wrong, and then finding the trumpet love of my life (to date). My wife is a little jealous. I have a wonderful Getzen 900 (1973 - 2nd hand - good nick - < AUD$900 from the US). I love the sound, the look, the taste (yep - even the taste), and the feel. It is NOT the best instrument in the world based on others opinions, or cost - but it suits me down to the ground. Save your dough, grow out of your Asian "super horn" and keep watching these pages - there are some seriously spectacular instruments discussed here - most are at a good price - AND NONE OF THEM ARE ASIAN (except the quality Japanese instruments like Yamaha). If you have trouble identifying EXACTLY the country of origin, or the horn has no serial number, - then, somebody is trying to hoodwink you and it is IMHO bloody near worthless (big call - good guide but).:play:

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i just got it now. Its sounds normal. It was ok and it has alot of sliding things lol where you can slide things. It gonna be good for me now because i can practice on my own. Im actually pretty happy with it. I was pretty surprised. I mean sure its an asian brand and whatever but for beginners like me i reckon its the best way to go. With this trumpet i can get the basics out of it like learning the notes, valves n beginners music. So perfect for a beginner. Obviously im not gonan stick to this after a year or 2, i will eventually get a proper (non asian brand) trumpet as you guys say it.