Beginners Question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sticks & Stones

Sticks & Stones New Friend

Sep 22, 2015
    Land O Lakes Wisconsin
    Hi all , this is my first post - question I have picked my trumpet up after a 25yr breather looking to truly invest in growing my playing ability so here is the question .... in strengthening and improving my "chops" what is an appropriate amount of practice vs to much playing and trying to force numb lips to do what they can not ?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Sticks & Stones!

I would suggest practicing until signs of tiring appear, then rest. Be sure to rest in between what you play. Many players suggest to rest as much as we play, professionals tend to rest less and less often.

Have fun with your trumpet!

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome Sticks & Stones,

I hope you enjoy TM, and can keep us posted on your progress.

To answer your question:
    Each person will be different. Practice long tone exercises, and develop a good tone with lip slurs through the partials.
    You should not end up with numb lips. Building your chops is like building any other muscle group. Small tears to the muscles occur as you grow them, that is where the strength develops over time. If you don't rest, then they don't get a chance to recover.

Listen to the songs you want to play, and if you have a range to an E or to a G on top of the Stave, then go join a community band. Playing with others is where the music happens.

Finally, you should go to Introductions and re-introduce yourself. You have opened a Thread that is 7 years old, and the Original Poster was Banned - you don't want to confuse people.

Cheers

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    the earliest sign of which would be starting to loose accuracy in phrasing notes.

By the way, welcome to TM, where I am known to having expand often on what Vulgano Brother has to say. I think his wings need adjustment.

5. Sticks & Stones

Sticks & Stones New Friend

Sep 22, 2015
    Land O Lakes Wisconsin
    thank you for the welcome and advice ... exactly what i needed to hear ... Peter thanks for the heads up on the post's date I looked right past it