Beginner's Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    What should a new trumpet student expect in the way of range after 8 weeks of practice? 6 months? 12 months?
    How long does it take a new student on average to be able to play a C above the staff?
    As a new trumpet student I'm trying to set realistic (attainable) goals to measure my own progress.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. oreoflake

oreoflake New Friend

Aug 15, 2010
    When I first started out in fourth grade, I got to a 'D' in the staff after 8 weeks... not a very amazing range, I know. It took me FOREVER (3-ish years) to get to the C above the staff, probably because of my lack of air support back then, but after that, I was able to hit a high 'G' (the second G above the staff) a month or two later.

But how old are you? I think age might be a variable on that. I have a friend (I'm currently 16, and I can hit a high 'A' when necessary) who recently started, and he can play the C above the staff now, two months later.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I am 56 (yes, really old!). My range as of today, after 9 weeks total on the horn is a D above high C. Sometimes Eb. My "gig" range is a B above the staff. A high school friend (12th grade) of mine, who played trumpet to help his breathing problems (Rx) was able to hit dub A's all day long and not even work up a sweat!
    I do practice hard, but any accomplishment that I have made has to be credited in part to Keith Fiala. A very good teacher, with lot's of patience.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I'm about 8 weeks in and my top is about D in the staff sometimes a bit higher, it seems to vary, I'm still feeling it out. Basically my range stops where the staff does lol. Which is OK with me. I'm getting there. Bottom of my range is as low as the horn goes. I don't want to push too hard or develop bad habits.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There should not be any expectations. What you are asking is like when should a baby walk, talk, eat solid food, when should we understand algebra, how many driver ed classes are necessary to keep young adults from crashing a car.

The progress is based on the ability of a student to LISTEN and EMULATE what they hear. The sooner that they can play copycat during lessons, the faster everything else goes. There are students that will not have a high C after 3-4 YEARS of playing (there are some that NEVER can play high), there are others that have it after 2 months.

The key to success is everything from one ear to the other. It is NEVER some special technique. Good lessons feed the body, mind and soul. Good students have open bodies, minds and souls. The rest don't get it and need to fix that first.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've been playing since late spring and I don't realy know what my range is. My teacher, a music professor at a University, has never mentioned it. I think we talked about it for about two minutes.

I personally don't understand the trumpet player's (I mean most everybody, not just the OP of this thread) obssession with range. Beginners, advancing players, comeback people ....Miles Davis one time, aggravated, asking Maynard F. why he's having so much trouble in the higher range, and etc.

I suppose it depends on what you're playing. One or two notes above the staff will cover ALL the melodies in my jazz standards Real Book. A bit more than this and you're playing higher than most male tenors can sing. What is up there that is so interesting???:dontknow:

Turtle

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is VERY CLEAR why Miles didn't have extreme range. There was nothing "cool enough" up there!

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Allow me to amplify a bit.....range is not an obsession, simply another area of study much like tone color/quality, technique, etc.
    I admit to being a "Maynard head", and other influences are Eric Miyashiro, Jim Manley, Keith Fiala, Bill Chase, Pete De Siena, Arturo, and Doc to a certain degree.
    Part of my everyday studies are devoted to range building, just like technique and other aspects of trumpet playing. Like they say, If you do not go there, you will never get there.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Why are trumpet players obsessed with high notes? Because composers write trumpet parts up there and we need to be able to play what is expected of us. Not everybody can play 3rd trumpet all the time, rarely getting up to high G. Somebody's got to play those notes above the staff when they're written. It's impossible to play a credible version of the Haydn concerto without those high notes.

Sure, the melodies in your jazz book might not go above the staff, but that's because they're just the melodies -- look at the lead trumpet parts for jazz band arrangements of those charts and you'll be amazed at what can be demanded of a trumpet player.

To deny the importance of the upper register for trumpet players is to keep one's head buried in the sand. On the other hand, to make the high range the only thing a player works on is also to bury one's head in the sand.

Trumpeters who don't have their own group and determine their own arrangements need to be able to play whatever's thrown at them, and that includes bright tone, dark tone, slow melodic passages, smoking technical passages, high notes, low notes, and lots more.

If a trumpeter wants to concentrate on only one style and/or one range of playing, that's up to that individual and might be fine for a hobbyist player who never wants to play in an orchestra, a concert band, a big band, a brass quintet or quartet.

But to be well-rounded, one needs to be able to play it all.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks guys,

I'm getting it. I haven't seen any of those charts yet .... I'm obssessed with Miles Davis and well, maybe that's where I'm getting my casual attitude about range. Give me a little more time with Maynard and I'm sure I'll change my tune.

Still, Miles didn't seem to need the upper register (much if at all). Was he not a "well rounded" player??? Was his head buried in the sand???

Don't ever forget .... Everyone has a DIFFERENT goal in trumpet playing. The instrument itself is LARGER than anyone's idea of what you HAVE TO DO on it.:-?

Turtle