Beginners' starting range.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mambo King, Jul 19, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow -- and I thought it only happened to me --- thanks phil986, I feel almost NORMAL now ---- well, almost ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ...................ROFL

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    For a beginner I would think initially you start between C below the ledger line to G in the staff and then work on getting 1 octave of C which would form the basis for the 1st scale in the key signature. After that moving up and down by a note as the student can denoted by maintaining a good tone and from there continue to expand the range from Low F# to say Double HIGH C with the caveat being that for most people there isn't a lot of music that you are going to play beyond that range and outside that range would be more for show. And actually I might be conservative and say that for most people if they could get a solid range to High C that it would be sufficient, although in my own case I continue to work on expanding my range as I'm able. I've also let the music dictate what my range should be as well.

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I don't remember what my range was when I was a beginner, or what the first note I played was--could have been a low C, could have been a second-line G or third-space C. I know my first teacher wasn't a trumpet player. She was a lady who taught at my school and played piano!! I didn't have lessons from a trumpet player till I'd been playing for a year. He got me holding the horn the right way, and doing other, more fundamentally-correct things. Can't fault my first teacher, though. She did her best.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    In my first incarnation as a trumpeter, I always had problems with range. I've wondered if, at least for some, starting low and working high wasn't a self-defeating process as contrasted with starting higher; that starting low set your basic embouchure for a low range, that had to be, in a sense, overcome over the years. So in my comeback era, I've basically decided not to follow this approach but to decide that the concept of playing high shouldn't be a stigma but almost something to be ignored. So I've used "The Balanced Embouchure" as a guide, since it pretty much has you playing high early on and it's been working for me.

"Truth in disclosure", my neither my tone nor power throughout my entire playing range is what I want it to be. But I'm feeling much more confident about getting the range under my belt first, and working on tone and power as it unfolds. Again, in my first playing era, I had a very nice tone and plenty of power. But range was always limiting, and I just have that gnawing feeling in the back of my mind that "starting low and working your way up" was at the root of it.