Beginning instruction resources?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Darthsunshine, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm trying to put together a plan for giving trumpet lessons to 4th/5th graders; starting from square one. Beyond Arbans, which mostly seems a bit much for beginners, anyone have any good suggestions for resources for exercises and simple songs? I've fished around a bit on the internet looking, but without finding anything particularly impressive so far. Thanks!

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I actually just asked Robin about this same thing. He has his students sing him a song, or make one up on their horn, then they write it out and play it! Seems like an excellent way to work on aural and playing skills in one shot! Plus, if you have the time, you can re-write most of the arbans material to make it easier for beginners.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Long tones, basic slurs over 2 or three notes, scales and basic tunes and after 2 or 3 weeks DOUBLE TONGUING.
    Make up a complete 15 minute DAILY routine and make the kids take notes (how long until the lips are numb, sounds good today, everything is crap today, etc).

As soon as the kids have 3 or 4 notes, it is Mary had a little Lamb. Melodies are proof to the parents that good things are happening. I am serious about the double tonguing. Everything sounds crappy in the beginning anyway and when my kids play scales they do it single tongued first and with tu-ku-tu-ku-tuuuuuuuuuh afterwards. They get a scale a week and after C major for 2 weeks, they have to have it memorized. I then go to the next scale.

You play everything first and let them watch and listen, then they play it back to you. That reduces the amount of things you need to EXPLAIN by at least half. I do not talk about sound or volume, the kids pick that up all by themselves!

If you are looking for a ton of free tunes, get a Hymnbook.

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Robin's Suggestions are quite good. If you insist on a book, for 4th 5th grade students I like Student Instrumental Course (SIC) the Trumpet one would be Trumpet or Cornet Student (I forget which) It has a lot of tunes in it, but is instrument specific so they are able to move quicker in some areas not being constrained by the clarinets. I would supplement it with Getchell Book one after they can play a C major scale. (good for tonguing and rhythm)

5. Darthsunshine

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Excellent ideas. Thanks :thumbsup:

6. Darthsunshine

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Robin & Cornet Guy:

Excellent suggestions. Between my own ideas, your suggestions, and what Mike contributed I think I've got enough ideas to launch into this project effectively (Though I'm happy to read more suggestions). I'm sure I'll get stuck at some point down the road, and I'll be back for more of your sage advice then :play:

7. Darthsunshine

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I've got three students now. All three are already taking piano lessons, so we've been able to get right down to the business of learning the trumpet. Two kids have horns, and one of those is... you guessed it, his dad's 1970's vintage Olds Ambassador! One is using one of my Ambassador cornets as a loaner. So far so good. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions :lol:

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    i've been teacher middle and high school students private lessons for 30 years. I would be glad to share my experience with you. There are several things that are very important to start and other things that take care of themselves. Good materials can make a different and I agree the Arban's is not good for even second year students.

Feel free to pick my brain

Bob Grier
    [email protected]

9. Darthsunshine

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Bob,

Thanks for the offer. I'll contact you off-list.

Thanks,
    Glen

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just a thought on the Hymn book - if you buy in second hand bookstores, search the Religion section rather than the Music section of the shop - often cheaper for the same book IMHO.