Beginning instruction resources?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Darthsunshine, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Fortunately, I've got access to as many free ones as I need :thumbsup:

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Glen,
    That's handy - some of the rest of us may struggle with that level of access - church halls are great to practice in, and their hymn books are a great resource - religion, on the other hand, is not for eveyone.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I have had good results using the Breeze Easy books for beginers, also once they learn the notes you can write out some songs like Flintstones ,Jeopardy theme etc. using note names CEG etc. this will teach note names ,fingerings , where the notes are on the horn and the kids have fun playing them.

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I've been playing a year and I'm practicing with my Arban's book a lot. What makes you say this/what should I do?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arbans is even good for beginners. It is up to the teacher to fill the lessons with life. All my kids start with Arban, Clarke and Irons as well as tunes, tunes, tunes!

If money is an issue on the Arbans book, there is a late 19th century version on the net for free (well for the cost of the paper to print it on!).

6. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I'm using the Essential Elements 2000 book with my students, supplemented with some long note and scale exercises. It has plenty of easy tunes plus backing tracks for each song. All seems to work well if they practice more than twice a week.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

That's not fair!!! What about the rest of us???

I have a couple of parents at our church begging me to give lessons, so I'm looking for foundation material as well!

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    One of my students is just about ready for some of the simple stuff I've fished around for in Arbans. There are some simple duets, and I've let her know one I'd like her to be moving towards it. My other two students are still working on getting a good tone on low C through E. They take a lot more patience, but I'm hoping they'll start coming along. It's actually making me think a lot harder about playing technique than I have in a LONG time, which is good. I just keep pitching them the familiar line: The secret to good playing is practice, and that's no secret. It always gets a giggle out of them, so I know they're having a good time :lol: