Beginning trumpet books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skuni, Nov 3, 2006.

1. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Anyone have a suggestion for a 5th grade student. He has been playing for seveal months and the book he came to me with is awful. Since he is already playing, I need a first year book that gets to some juicy stuff fairly quick.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Although this book has sections that are "too" advanced for this young of a student, it has everything they'll need for a long time. One of my favorite books growing up...and still go back to today....

Raymond C Fussell: Exercises For Ensemble Drill Main Book

Great stuff. Hope you enjoy...

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    What do you mean by "juicy stuff"? I try to focus in the first year on good habits; on beautiful sound; on getting the right note to come out of the bell; on enjoying the act of making music.

The rest can follow, and come, IMO, from all of the above.

Good books for developing this are, to my opinion:
    Standard of Excellence, vol I
    Accent on Achievement, vol I
    The Cornet Student, book 1

The first 2 are band method books, and so allow the student to get together with his/her freinds who play any other band instrument and have this book, and play together. The tunes are familiar to most kids their age, so training the inner ear takes place naturally without them even knowng it's taking place. CD's are included, but I find in my experience anyway that they can be more of a source of frustration than anything else, so I don't really use them.

The Cornet Student is great (again, IMO) because it covers a good amount of turf for a beginner book. It moves along quite fast, so it is best for a high aptitude kid who just can't get enough. There are alot of familiar tunes in there, as well. The book does not have a CD, but, read the last paragraph...not a problem to me. One other nice thing about this book is that it, unlike alot of newer methods, does not use alot of flash or silly cartoon characters as a distraction. It doesn't need them. The music is what the music is, and it stands as its own reward. A very important concept for kids to learn.

4. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
  5. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the help. I am going to check out some of these books.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My teacher, Sigmund Hering wrote many books for young players. They are really good.
    Wilmer

7. trumpetandbass535

trumpetandbass535 New Friend

Nov 4, 2006
    Nazareth, PA
    +1 on Sigmund Hering. Right now my teacher has me playing out of his book "23 Etudes for Trumpet and Cornet." But that's not beginner stuff by any means.

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i second the cornet student series. really like it a lot, that it is trumpet specfic and musical, doesnt have the cartoon foolishness, etc. also has a bunch of supplemental materials.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Try the "40 Progressive Etudes for Trumpet," it's for younger students.
    There is also a Sigmund Hering Trumpet Course available in three books.
    There are books written by Mr. Hering for trumpet players on all levels.
    Wilmer

10. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    There's also the Rubank books.
    Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced I and Advanced II.

Warren