Being away from the Trumpet for a month

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nolahlm, Mar 3, 2010.

1. nolahlm

nolahlm New Friend

Jan 18, 2010
    So I have a little predicament this summer. I am going to be away from my Trumpet for a MONTH. I was wondering if there were any good exercises to keep up chops without the actual trumpet. Not sure if I am going to be able to bring a mouthpiece, but if I can I can probably buzz around on that.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

3. nolahlm

nolahlm New Friend

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks! That Gone Fishing post was a good read. I may just leave everything at home and take a break.

4. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    Similar to the pencil exercise, but without the need of a pencil hangin from your face... Lip Presses. This will give you a good burn, and helps to do them everyday anyway. Always do these right before you are going to bed; there's no sense trying to play after doing these.

Squeeze your lips together in the form of your embouchure for 60 seconds strong. Relax for 60 seconds. Hold your lips tight again for 60 seconds.

If you don't feel a chop-melting burn after that, you might be relaxing pressure.

I do these on and off, but mostly for situations like yours. Try this out even now! You can notice results in a matter of a few days.

-em-

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    You know, a month off won't kill you. In fact, it might be a good time to forget some bad habits, like pressing, or playing too far off to the side of your centerline. Keep listening to good trumpet playing (music, in general, of course) and when you come back, try to do it "right" and maybe you'll come off your "vacation" better than you were before.

Take it easy upon picking up your instrument, play gently, play sweetly, play in your middle register and low register at first, DON'T PRESS, just make beautiful music, and you'll be fine!

Life is too short to worry!!!

(now, FIVE weeks, I'd worry about! (just kidding!))

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

6. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Where are you going for a month, that you might not even be able to bring a mouthpiece?

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    learn to lip buzz the chromatic scale