Being Ready All the Time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Friggin' Nomad, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Friggin' Nomad

Friggin' Nomad New Friend

May 1, 2011
    So, I woke up the other day and began my regular warm-up routine. I start with long tones and then go on to major scales starting on a single octave low Bb and ending on a with double octave D (one above high C). I then go on to other things but that's irrelevant right now. Anyway while I was doing this, I got to about an A below high C, and it was really pinched and ugly, and then all of a sudden I couldn't even hit it. So I went about and I played all day, and then after a playing in community band later that night, my face and aperture just felt incredible; you know that feeling when it feels like you could play anything at that point? So to see how my face would react, I started on a High C and played to the F above it. And it was a really clear and beautiful sounding note! My question is, how do I get to the point were I feel that good all the time, from when I pull out my horn to warm-up to the end of the day?

2. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd just start trying to make yourself feel confident, like if you smile enough, you start to feel happy kind of thing, if you convince yourself that you are epic, then you will play epically.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A consistent daily routine that provides a balanced diet helps, involving long tones, flexibility, tonguing, scales and the like. I use a routine developed by Charles Butler back in the 80's that takes about 45 minutes, but when I practice that in the morning I remain warmed up and ready to play the rest of the day.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Don't overanalyze it.

5. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Keep hydrated!!!

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Relish that feeling cause it wont last. The really good days are just a tease and loving contrast to the crap that you play the rest of the time. Sorry, I meant that in the best possible way. Seriously though, glimmers of paradise have been dreamed of by trumpeters since biblical times. When I amaze myself I have to chuckle and just ride the wave till it peters out. Cool story though. Best wishes.

7. Friggin' Nomad

Friggin' Nomad New Friend

May 1, 2011
    *Sighs*......

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The trick is, the more practice (the right type of practice) you get under your belt, the more often you have these good times.

9. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    We all want more good days than bad. Congratulations on what sounds like a stellar playing day. We are all human, there is no one size fits all formula for everyone. Good luck to you in all your endeavors.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and don't have a NEGATIVE attitude like this guy -- I mean, we would all think of a trumpet player like this, living in pristine Iowa -- would just have a great attitude -- So my take is -- very consistent, determined practicing -- to be the best you can be --- and then play that way ---- 3 years ago, it was a struggle to play a conistent High C -- everyday --- NOW 1,000's of hours of practice/play and 3 years later --- the high C is part of my warmup routine --- towards the end -- but the high C (D, and E) are NOW a GIVEN. YES there are days of Higher notes -- but that consistency -- were they are a given, is not quite there yet -- in 1 year?., in 2 years? in another 500 hours??? --- I do not know --- but, I am certain -- next year will be better!!!!!!!!-- YES I AM POSITIVE ABOUT THAT.

ps. sorry Larry, you were just a good example -- and I certainly know you take it well!!!!!!!!!!!