Being Ready All the Time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Friggin' Nomad, Jun 7, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vizzuttii has an interesting perspective on long tones. They are OK, but don't over use them. They tend to fatigue the lip if held as a monotone.

I personally use slurred long tones, one note sluring into another over an 8 bar phrase on one valve setting. Allen (Vizzuttii) tends to slur slowly on a scale pattern. Heard a lot of interesting perspectives during one of his 2 Master Classes he delivered at the Dayton Trumpet Hang...

AND BOY DID HE DELIVER!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My answer to the question, "How do I get to the point were I feel that good all the time, from when I pull out my horn to warm-up to the end of the day?"[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

It comes when you build endurance. How do you build endurance? How many stars are there in the sky? Use any of the suggestions above, not singularly but group them together, then practice them. I believe when you can work up to a practice session at two hours* duration, with consistency, on a daily basis with the confidence that each day will be as consistent as the past (or next), then you are at that "feel good" point all of the time.

*The two hours window was the Vizzuttii recommendation not mine, but by coincidink, that is my daily routine AND IT WORKS for a feel-good-session-all-the-time.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    let me interject this then --- I do long tones, and then I do(try) a "siren" long tone --- meaning I start at ppp then work the note up to F or FF (if I can get it on that particular note) then back down to ppp -------------of course, I haven't mastered this technique on the full range of my long tones --- YET -----------and somehow adding the dynamics, seems to be a little more difficult than the Monotone long tones.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Remember the moment you had "it" and remember what it is you were doing for that to happen. Plug in the variables and follow the forumla that worked.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Get a good private teacher who can develop a daily routine that works for you. Remember what you did yesterday is what will determine how your chops feel today.

kingtrumpet likes this.