Being Ready

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nice post. When I am called on to do something like that at the last moment, it's a good reminder of the old Boy Scout motto to "be prepared". That's why it's good to keep practicing and expanding your horizons into different genres of music. You never know when you'll get the call, and like you (and others) experienced, it's very rewarding to do a good job when called on to save the day.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It is what it is - I've been in situations where I've seen that before, although I've never had to jump in on lead in a big band like you did - well, once, but it was due to other reasons, and I didn't feel like it was due to any kind of dereliction on the part of the guy who was originally playing lead.

The note and the $50 token payment for bailing out the band shows me that you are a gigging with a group of classy players - that's a gig to keep!

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Good job!I'd keep that gig if you can. Might lead to better things. The group I'm in, there's only two of us trumpets and I do cover the first when I have to. Director is enjoying my sound so far:oops:

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    A review from an audience member.

"BTW what happened to ****? I saw him walk off the bandstand
    and figured he was going to the rest room, but he never came back. Did
    he get sick? In any event Jimmy Branham took up the slack beautifully
    and probably nobody but me noticed that there were only three trumpets
    for the last two thirds of the gig. As I mentioned, I crossed paths
    with **** at the Trumpetfest in 2007 but have never "heard" him play
    until last night, but I couldn't pick him out of the section ensemble.
    You can certainly hear Jimmy though, and I mean that as a sincere
    compliment. He's a very good trumpet player and a nice guy. I enjoy
    talking to him."

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Which is one of the many reasons I had preferred playing the second trumpet part. Unfortunately, I had been thrust in to the lead part by our band director for the past 2 years. He did this for a reason, to increase my endurance to play four hour quintet gigs on back to back evenings. The move on his part worked for me, but the amount of playing I have to do every day to keep the stamina up demands a lot of devoted time in my day. Thank God I am only a physician on my day gig had have all this free time on my hand to cover the requisites of being a lead player.