Believe it or Not!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Sep 12, 2009.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

And "the maintainace engineer in me" wants to know the why and what made it so.

OLDLOU>>

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    "the maintainace engineer in me" wants lots of things...:dontknow:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dale,
    I am pretty sure that there is no easy explanation. I experimented with water keys a while back. It always had interested me how the German Rotary trumpets had additional keys to make certain notes more secure (Überblasklappen). If you open a water key, you can still play most notes without any changes. only a couple of notes are affected - from not playable to impossible to crack.

In your case, the only explanation that makes sense to me is the mass of the new (old) key and cork AND the tension of the spring. It may be minute, but the leadpipe on a cornet is not all that well braced. You probably had a "resonance" killer at a node affecting the F before and now with the weaker spring and different mass the problem has been shifted out of harms way. I have noticed a slight difference with different corks and springs but always written it off as insignificant.

Your experience does strengthen my belief that Bach does not put their trumpets together well enough to get the most out of them. When I play the Spada "remanufactured versions", you get the "sound" but have none of the "pains" associated with many of those horns.

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    A former conductor (English ex-trumpetplayer)of my band told us once
    that he had a problem with the “super F” in “Also sprach Zarathustra” until his
    conductor at that time told him to open the spit key/valve on the tuning slide
    when he went for the “F”. So he did. Never missed the entry afterwords.

May be true, may be a good story?

He used to tell other stories too….including beer and women...:-P

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wait a minute, beer and women do not have spit keys or old springs.

The high C in Zarathustra is easy to NAIL when the standard spit key on a german rotary trumpet is open. It does sound a bit thinner though! I have no spit key for the F. I did Mahler 8 last year and just had to earn it.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, maybe I'll get brave and undo the key install, and replace items one by one to try to isolate the magic part...when I get some down time and feel like fighting those springs again...

Played it in church today and was still happy with it. Nice little horn.