Bell Constuction--What's Best?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dcbrown1, Oct 18, 2005.

1. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Thought this might be an interesting topic. With two-piece, one-piece and one-piece seemless bells out there...is there a concensus regarding pros and cons...what's best for what situation, etc. Or...does it even matter? Thoughts, experience?

Dave Brown

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I've played and owned trumpets with one piece and 2 piece bells...don't think I've played a seamless one. I can't say that I've noticed a difference that I could solely attribute to the bell's construction. It's all a bit subjective because a direct comparison between horns is difficult...cetirus paribus.

I can rationalise a particular colouring to the sound or response characteristic made by the bell flare, bell thickness or the material the bell's made from but I can't say 'Yes that's different because it's 2 piece or hasn't got a seam'.

Maybe someone else can but they've got better ears than I have.

Regards,

Trevor

PS I've played a few Schilkes. I think some of those are seamless but I couldn't tell you which ones.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Two piece bells are terrible, just terrible...oh wait, what about Eclipse?

um....

One piece bells are terrible just terrible...oh wait, what about Bachs?

um....

One piece SEAMLESS bells are terrible, just terrible...oh wait, what about Schilke? (Not sure if all are like this, but most Schilkes have one piece, seamless bells, drawn from a seamless tube. Mine is one piece, seamless and copper.)

:lol:

Is there a consensus on bells? I think that there are some great horns made with all three types, but there is a difference in cost to produce between one-piece, two-piece and seamless one-piece bells.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I have to go with Trevor on this one. Material, flare, size...I think those will have the greatest influence.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, sorry, I wasn't trying to poke fun and it is a very interesting topic.

It used to be that some companies advertised the one piece bell as a selling point, as if it was superior in construction and design to the two piece bell.

The problem with that idea is that there are some fantastic trumpets out there that utilize the two piece bell. I know that Eclipse uses two piece bells, and I believe that at least some of Roy Lawler's trumpet have two piece bells as well. The instruments from both of those makers are highly regarded.

On the other side of the spectrum are the one piece, seamless bells on Schilke trumpets. Personally, I think that Schilke trumpets are somewhat unsung and under-rated, but I don't really think that it has to do with the bell construction so much as it does the bell shape and the way the rest of the horn is put together.

Unfortunately, anything I can offer on the subject is pure conjecture, because I don't really know one way or the other! :oops:

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, Dave's are all two piece bells and they're as solid as can be. So, I don't know.

Hey, it sounds like a job for:

THE TRUMPET PLAYING TOYOTA ROBOT!!!

ML

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Oh man, how could I have overlooked Monettes as prime examples of two-piece bell trumpets?

Yeah, the Toyota robot trumpet or that midi thingie we were looking at a couple of weeks ago...

...NOT!!!!!!

8. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    Lets not forget the rimless bells! I've actually never played one of those. But as far as one vs. two vs. seamless I can honestly say I've never been able to tell a difference.
    -missednote

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Didn,t we cover this before? :shock:

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit