Bell Metals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Feb 1, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh GREAT VB... Now you just blew my Ebay selling tactic. No, seriously... I agree with the vodoo theory. I believe the sound would be impacted more by bell flair, with tone easily distinguished, than by bell material.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, if you guys did a little bit of googling you would discover a lot of the answers surrounding material.

Just a bit of science: Horn taper determines efficiency vs frequency. The size of the horn mouth the lowest frequencies transformed and for very high frequencies the horn becomes directional.

Calculate out some frequencies and tell me how the material (gold vs yellow brass with almost identical mass) changes the high frequency response. Do you even know what frequencies make a trumpet sound brighter?

My current theory is that WE create the sound. The feedback from the horn colors our perception and that leads to the total product. The ringing sound off the gold brass bell is different than that of a yellow brass one. That ring is far to quiet for the audience to hear, but the player does and that sound is processed by our brain which controls the embouchure......(assuming that our brain is involved and we are not merely "blowing") Hence, night and day to a weak player, less difference to an experienced one!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    In the early1990's, I replaced my old Bach 43 with the then new Sterling bell 43 (before it was called Sterling Plus). I tried both sterling and regular bells against my old horn. With another trumpet player in the room we both found the sterling bell more alive and had more projection.

4. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Spit-balling here... Does the speed of sound change depending upon the metal it is moving through? Is this what horn makers are playing with? Or is it the attenuation of the frequencies?

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think the different metals favor certain frequencies for resonating (overtones), at least, that's what I've been led to believe.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, measurable that the metal does not change what the audience hears if the material is similar (gold brass, red brass, yellow bass)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My question is: Are the flair designs of Bach 43 identical to to the Sterling bell 43?:dontknow:

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Sure are.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do your mutes fit identically? Espically your harmon? Same twists to stick, same ease to remove?

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Well, yes. But the sound, is it different?