Bell Metals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Feb 1, 2012.

1. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    I believe it was Schilke that said that about 85% of most horn players. Will sound the over all best sound wise, on Yellow Brass. I feel that Rowuk has the better over all answer. These examples can be shown out in the advertisements of the various Pro King Trumpet models over time.

Example is the King Super-20 and the King Symphonic DB models. This applies to the two King KMI Pro Silver Flair/Golden Flair models and last Pro King KMI 2000 Flair series models.

First note is the Tempering of metal,the bore sizes,lead pipe materials, Bell tapers, Bell Flairs. Brighter playing Super-20's had the 4/34 inch bell and the Symphony models had the 4 7/8 inch Bell with Dual bores.

You can also note that Leblanc, Conn, and Besson made 5 inch larger throated Bell horns. Couple that with a .468 to .485 bore size. The Horn would probably play darker and broader in sound.

One of our T.M. or T.H. members has a good article on the sound concept of our various type Horns today. Due to the influence of the French and German Music Composers of the 19th Century into the 20th Century. Seems the French Composers preferred Bright playing type Trumpets and the German Composers preferred a Hybrid type Trumpet/Cornet,darker sounding Horn.

When Reynolds created the Reynolds Argenta line of Trumpet/Cornets. Going with 100% Nickel Silver,may was trying to combine the best of both sound concepts. They can play dark in the mid/low range and very bright up high with plenty of DB output.

Good luck on your horn choices. When I hear a dedicated Semi to Pro player, playing any of the vintage models or newer models. All sound good to me.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody is guessing! Why can't we just be who we are and know what we know? "Sure are" is a lot different than "I think so".

Anyone that has seen how Bach makes bells would not be so bold! I would not take bets on this one. How can some user say that they are exactly the same? Who has the tools to measure? Ever thought about the manufacturing process? Does sterling silver lend itself to the same mass production techniques?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, I am still skeptical with Cody's answer as well, which is what prompted me to ask as to the mute fitting.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Okay, yes, it was a guess. But why would it be any different? It is a 43 bell that they want a certain sound, to sound like every other 43 bell. I thought it was very safe to assume so. So that is why I am going to do a lot of research and find out. I will have a answer soon.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody,

in the real world authority means get informed first and then broadcast. The other way around just means nobody believes you in the future. It is not safe to assume anything.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I would and did assume when I purchased my 43 Sterling Bell Bach that the bell would be the same taper regardless of materials used. Otherwise, why would Bach market it as that bell taper? Yes , my mutes fit in both bells without changing corks.

7. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Absolultely,

I play my 112B (trumpet) and the guy that handles all my brasswork swears I sound like a cornet. That has to be me, not the horn. Since it is gold brass, silver plated, and based on the 22B.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did anyone posting their response check with the manufacturers at Bach. Give them a call, find this as fact, then update us as such, as I agree with rowuk that in situations were facts can be reported, try to find them first, then report.

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Cody is right!!

I emailed musicians friend.com on recommendation and here is what I asked word for word:

Customer By Web Form - 02/06/2012 01:43 PM
    Hello, I have been faced with a question concerning the Bach Stradivarius Trumpet 43 bell. I want to know if that bell has the same taper in Gold Brass and Sterling Silver. If you can not come up with an answer can you please refer me to someone who will have the answer.

Thank you very much,
    Cody

And my response was:

Dear Cody,

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

The bell on the Bach Stradivarius Trumpet 43 will have the same taper regardless of the two finishes.

To place your order, please call 888-566-6123 or visit our website at www.music123.com. Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns, or if you are not completely satisfied with the service you have received from us today. We appreciate your feedback.
    Have a great day!

Auto-Response - 02/06/2012 01:43 PM
    The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)

Title: Changing Your Display Name
    Link: Changing Your Display Name

Title: Contact Us
    Link: Contact Us

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Rowuk,

In the real world I know my stuff. Yes, that was a guess but was I wrong? Do you not believe that source and want me to get another?