bell + sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Jul 23, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Rak,
    they are all variations on a theme: except for LEGO, they cut the brass out, bend it, solder it together and then bang it into shape. Alternately you spin the bell and then solder or fuse it to the rest. The final shape is done in all cases on a lathe.

The skill comes in what you do on the lathe. I am sure that most artisans have produced a large amount of scrap before they got good. There are companies out there too that make bells for trumpet assemblers.

AS far as Russian or Ukrainian language goes, I don't have any web links for Bachov, Schilsky, Kanstulova, Selmerskaya or F.E.пожилой! :dontknow:

2. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    You just made my day,Robin.:)

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Felix Vayservitch, товарищ!

Only because I found a horn that you don't carry!

I'll bet if you come up with a large bore .480 Kiev (Кйев), or an even larger bore .490 Moskwitsch (Москвич) or biggest bore .50 Taiga (тайги) models you would get a lot of appeal with markets not yet covered. I could imagine a run in the Baltic states as well as Georgia and Armenia! I even found a great case for these horns:

[​IMG]

AS it is my idea, no wimp piccolo trumpets please. Only BIG Bb and C trumpets please. I also have a unique idea for valve oils, that could also double as chop savers......................

Forget the elephant or US cities: NOW YOU CAN HAVE A RUSSIAN BEAR!

The ultimate model would of course be the:

Computer Cross-Calibrated Paragon
    with the Ultra Dark Super Sonic Response

brought to you by the Korporation for Good Blow

4. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY

:):):):):):)
    Oh,man.
    What did you eat today,Robin? :)
    This is your best post up to date.:)

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had 3 students today (for lunch), then ate Alsacian Flammekuchen and drank an excellent Alsacian Gewürztraminer wine with it. I practiced for 2 hours, turned the computer on and got an attitude.

I would be interested perhaps in a Taiga C........................

6. rspargo

rspargo New Friend

Jul 15, 2009
    Rhode Island
    The size of the trumpet bell has to due with the projection of the sound being played. One of my Baumann Rotary trpts has a large five inch bell and a huge orchestral sound when needed or a bel canto sound when played relatively soft. My Scherzer has a smaller bell and gives a more straight forward "nail it on the head" sound, yet again a nice bel canto (singing voice) when played normally. Instrument makers who forge their own bells design different size and weight bells for their trpts adding various colour to there masterpices.

7. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Is it true that custom-made trumpets cost a lot more than the ones made in factories?

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

DUUUH!!! That is NOT the most intelligent question I have ever read.

Always. They are the hand made ones, not made by machines.

OLDLOU>>