bell tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jplan, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jplan

jplan New Friend

Aug 24, 2010
    what can i do to get a better bell tone?

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Sometimes players tend to cut off their bell tones to short. Give the note an accent and it's full value (no carrot-top). Remember, bells ring- that's what you want to do

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Everything good with the trumpet starts with breath support. If your sound is not floating on air, nothing really gets better. Once it is, most questions don't come up anymore.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    First Grasshopper, you must master dial-tone then touch-tone.

Then bell tone

Lastly, DTMF (dual tone multifrequency)

By that time, you may be old and going deaf, the fine folks at Beltone can then sell you a hearing aid.

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    pardon me, but what exactly is bell tone?

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi jplan,
    Here's one way to possibly get a better bell tone:
    Play a long soft tone. Bend the tone slowly up and down. There will be a point when you are bending that the sound will brighten up. That's where you want to be.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My interpretation of the question is that often times there are "bell tone" phrases in a piece of music where it's either actually notated as "bell tones" or it's interpreted that way - typically quarter note or half notes that are standing on their own or in answer to another phrase from another instrument.

Bell tones to me are more about the way the note is accented, and that has less to do with the articulation as it does with the way the air is used. The actual articulation should be no harder than normal, but the accent comes from the air, which is pushed hard at the beginning of the note, but quickly backs off for the remainder of the note, and as LakerJazz said the note has to be played for full value - a bell doesn't stop ringing - it continues to resonate.

That's my take on it.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Great advice already given above. Be sure to experiment around with acents and air stream. Best thing to do is have someone who knows what you are asking about to listen as you noodle around trying to find the right ring and resonance afterward. How its done can be slightly different for everyone, as is the right belltone sound may be slightly different for every player and instrument. Its very subjective. Best wishes.