Bells and finishes

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetpimp, Mar 1, 2004.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Okay, I've just about talked myself into putting together the money to buy an Eclipse(assuming I like them, I haven't actually tried one yet). I've just got a few questions.

I'm thinking of either replacing or getting a companion to my Yammie 6335HII. Originally I was looking for a "lead" type horn and keeping my Yamaha as a section/solo horn but if I'm lucky enough to find a horn that "does everything" better than my current Bb than I might just do away with it altogether. Enough background, on to the questions...

If the body of all the eclipses are identical does that mean that although the medium classic and medium red will have different sounds they'll still have a fairly identical blow? How about the medium heavy red? Large? Will these all blow very similarly or very differently?

Also, if this is a lead horn I'm pretty sure I want it to be silver but if I'm looking for a horn that can do everything should I consider lacquer? Will silver brighten a red brass bell too much? Will lacquer deaden it too much to scream? I know lots of lead players play lacquer horns but silver preserve high overtones and lacquer kills them. I want to part the hair of the lead trombone. :-)

I'm considering a silver medium red. Would this be the one to try for for solo/section/legit/lead? I'm sure that a silver medium classic would be the screamer. Does anyone disagree? Should I consider lacquer on either setup? I wouldn't normally ask questions that I could figure out for myself by trying horns but I know that for Bruce to stock every bell in every finish(at least the ones that matter) he's need to keep about 30 horns around. I know the average retailer wouldn't want to try and swing that.

Bruce- What are the chances you would have in stock a silver medium classic, a silver and a lacquer medium red, and a lacquer large heavy red? Snowballs chance in hell or halfway decent? :-)

2. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    TP -

You are dead on the money when you suggested that all horns in the eclipse line would have a similar blow, I would suggest that with a few exceptions, the blow is EXACTLY the same. Some bells at the opposite ends of the spectrum will seem to play differently, but that is a feedback issue. For example - a medclassic bell will shear the wings off a moving mosquito at 50 meters, and the sound is strong, bright, clear and in your face, EVERYONE's face. As players, we will generally back off a bit when playing sucha beast. On the other end, we have the large copper. Same blow. Everything takes the same amount of effort, but you may not get the 'in your face feedback', especially if you're in a section. It may take a day or two to realize that the sound is actually HUGE and it is more than capable of producing without having to 'push it', to make up for the missing 'edge'.
    As far as your situation - I would recommend MR in silver, MHY in silver, and perhaps even the MY in silver. MR is my favorite bell by far, but the MHY has a lot of the qualities you are looking for as well. Depending on what your natural tone is like, MY may be it - I would narrow your field of fire to these 3 bells. But then again we have this copper bell....!! :shock:
    Have fun, play hard...

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hi, trumpetpimp!

Here's what I currently have:

Medium Classic - silver/gold
    Medium Yellow - silver/gold (2)
    Medium Red - arriving soon!
    Heavy Medium Red - clear lacquer
    Large Yellow (Special Edition) - arriving soon!
    Heavy Large Red (Vortex - Custom) - brilliant gold
    Equinox - Scratched Gold

I am building an inventory.

Noel posted this response to Mikester (Equinox - silver/gold), a while ago. Since you seem to be gravitating to the Medium bell options, this will describe the finishes, and bell options, quite well.

The Medium Red, in silver, would be a great choice! What lead trombone player? :twisted: :lol:

I hope that this helps!

Best always,
    Bruce

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    The replies were very helpful. Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I also got a very helpful PM from Leigh.

I won't be able to visit you for a few months, Bruce, but it looks like you've got a pretty good cross-section of the Eclipse product line. Thanks for posting your inventroy. Is that what you keep for people to try and then they order based on that? In other words, can I expect you'll have that lineup when I come in July or should I check back in June? Also, is the medium red that's coming in lacquer or silver? It might be nice to blow a copper when I come in but I don't think that'll be the horn for me. But, you never know.

Oooh, I'm so excited! I can't wait until the summer. :lol:

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful.

p.s. Which trombone player? Nobody in particular. Just anyone who happens to be lucky enough to be sitting in front of me...or anyone that incurs my wrath. lol :twisted:

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi there!

If you go to Bruce's and he doesn't have a LR in stock let me know... I'll come up with mine...!

As I have played most of the line feel free to email me off-list as well with any particulars.

Noel hits the descriptions perfectly...

Best,

Trent

6. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for that offer, Trent! I almost mentioned the same thing in my post, but you stepped right in there to help. YOU DA MAN! :D

Best always,
    Bruce

7. alexT

alexT New Friend

May 18, 2004
    London, UK
    I know this is an old topic, but I need some help!!!!

I have ordered my eclipse MR and for the time being it is down for scratch gold, however when I visited last I saw the scratch silver. I Think I like the scratch silver and scratch laquer over the scratch gold, but I want my horn to be easy to maintain which is why I like the sound of the gold. I was wondering how hard a Raw brass instrument is to keep and how well the finish ages. I think I like the raw sound over them all as I can be most versitile with this. Can someone help????? please???

thanks

Alex

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I know Leigh does not recommend raw brass, but talk to him about it - he's the expert!

9. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    With regards to the initial post I'm not an expert on Eclipse bells, since I have only played one. However, that one is a medium red with silver finish. I have two other horns, a relatively new French Besson Classic, which has a yellow brass bell and silver finish, and a vintage Olds Recording with rose brass bell. For all practical purposes it's in raw brass now, because the original lacquer is about gone.

The med red Eclipse in silver gets a broader, bigger, darker, smoother sound than either the Besson or the Olds when played with the same mouthpiece. Actually, the Eclipse is darker than the Besson with any combination of mouthpieces. If I play the Besson with a GR 66***, and the Eclipse with a Schilke 14A4a, the sounds are close, but the edge still goes to the Eclipse as being the darker of the two. And it's hard to sound dark with a Schilke 14A4a, at least for me.

I don't think you need be afraid of the silver finish on the red brass bells at all.