bells bores etc.???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bottoms94, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Bottoms94

Bottoms94 New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    Chesterfield Va.
    Hello, I have a few questions on very confusing things!
    I have no idea what people are talking about when they talk about trumpet, cornets, and other instruments bores size, bell size, or any of that jazz. So my main question is what is the difference in the sizes?
    Also i want to know what the differences in mouthpieces are. Like what the heck is the difference between Bs Cs as 11Es? All ive ever have played on is Cs.

Thank you to whom ever can anwser my questions. It will be greatly appresiated in the long run when i am a musician.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Bore size is the inside diameter of the tube. Where that's measured varies depending on who you ask, but it's often in the valve casing (the second valve slide, for example). I've seen references to the bore in the tuning slide too. How different bore sizes change the playing characteristics of the horn is open to debate. There are usually other variables between two horns. Bore size alone doesn't tell me much about a horn.

Bell "size" usually refers to the shape of the flair in the last few inches of the bell.

3. Bottoms94

Bottoms94 New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    Chesterfield Va.
    thanks and what i ment was what tones do you get when you have different depths and widths.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I was taught in repair school that the bore size is measured at the tuning slide and that supposedly "dual bore" instruments have one bore size for the upper tube on the tuning slide and a slightly larger one on the lower tube.

Regarding bell size, bore size -- they really mean nothing other than as a possible (and only one of many) ways to compare different instruments. So much more goes into an instrument, so a trumpet by manufacturer A with a smaller bore might actually play more freely and easily than a trumpet by manufacturer B with a larger bore, which would go against the common philosophy about how bore size affects playability. The numbers are all that the marketing department can come up in an ever more technically oriented world, so they are emphasized way too much by way too many people. What matters is how the instrument plays for you. Period.

Regarding mouthpieces, there's no answer that's true for everybody regarding rim size, rim contour, cup shape, cup depth, throat opening and backbore taper.

In general, for most new trumpet players, a smaller diameter cup helps to control the pitch better, and a shallower cup helps play higher notes more easily. HOWEVER, as with all generalities, when you get down to specifics they fall apart.

Different mouthpiece designs will make YOU play differently. Maybe better maybe worse, maybe more easily maybe with more effort. There's no way to describe what sort of tone any mouthpiece will produce for every player. You just have to go to a music store and try a lot of different mouthpieces and find what is comfortable and allows you to do what you want to do right now and then work with that mouthpiece, knowing full well that as you get better and develop more playing strength that mouthpiece may need to be changed.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany