Below the staff

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rezamozaffarinia, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Rezamozaffarinia

Rezamozaffarinia New Friend

Jun 21, 2008
    Tehran
    Hi,

I have been playing for about 3 months now, i practice about 1-2 hours everyday in 5-15 minute segments and equal rest after each segment.i can only play from the G below the staff to the G right above the staff ,strong & clear,

now here's my little problem:
    after i practice for about 10 minutes, i can't produce the notes on the 1st octave (below the G on the 2nd line) with a sharp and strong tone anymore,also tounging below the staff becomes almost impossible,

why is this happenning & how can i change it? is it wrong to practice with a lot of breaks?

Thanx.

2. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    The lower range is harder than the middle range for many beginning players. I know it was for me. You just need to keep the corners of your mouth firms and relax the aperture a little. Also, there's nothing wrong with practicing with breaks. Practicing soft can also help increase your endurance. playing soft requires more control and will help you play longer at normal volume. But don't try to go too soft at first.
    Hope this helps

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Reza,
    if you do not have a teacher, it would be worth finding one. There is no period of time more critical than the beginning and all of the good habits that you build will be with you for the rest of your life!

Your practice times are not causing the problem. I suspect it is more of what and how you are practicing. It is very intelligent to plan rests into the practice routine.

without seeing you play, I can only assume that something is not working with your breathing. If you are taking a relaxed full breath, not holding it in and releasing it in a natural relaxed way, 4 weeks is enough to get a clean mid and low register. After 12 weeks, you should have a lot more. I am afraid that the internet will not be enough to identify your problem.

Maybe we can help a bit more. Post exactly what you do during your practice - including the order that you do it. Maybe something obvious will pop up.

4. Rezamozaffarinia

Rezamozaffarinia New Friend

Jun 21, 2008
    Tehran
    thanx for your help folks,

Actualy i do have a teacher, but he was abroad for 2 weeks and i couldnt ask him the question, my problem is solved,
    it all started because i added extra work to my routine , i started a book for improving sight-reading and as i practiced it with my other instruments, i included trumpet too, which was appareantly a wrong thing to do, i rested for 2 days and started again , and it was gone,
    i am back practicing ,stictly my given routines, nothing more...

oh yea and i switched from Labello ro Chap et :D,

once again thanx for your answers, and sorry for my late reply.

Keep :play: