Bending Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Jun 4, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    If you know about the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corp, you would know that they practice bending notes alot. It usually shows up in their shows to as an added effect. I've seen them in rehearsals practicing how to do it as an ensemble and how to make it sound good. They only thing their caption head didn't talk about was wiether it was good or an effective thing to practice. My question is.....is it good to practice bending notes. What are the positive or negative affects of practicing it? Is it worth it?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Spirit,
    if your chops are in order, there is NOTHING wrong with bending notes. Actually we do it all the time if we play in tune. True intonation means that every note varies depending upon its context. An E has a different frequency when played in an E Major, F# Major7, C#minor, A Major or C major chord. A piano is tuned so that every key is equally out of tune regardless. Our faces adjust for this without problem.

Make sure that your practice sessions are balanced. Then you NEVER have trouble!

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I like bending low C.
    I can usually get down to an A or Ab.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    One of my teachers has an exercise that he uses and that I use occasionally where you start on the G in the staff and play it for two beats at 60, then you bend down slowly to E for another two beats then slowly back up to G for 4 beats. Repeat this chromatically down to low C.
    This isn't to be practiced loudly. Maybe MF with a nice solid tone. You want to make the slide as even as possible just like you were playing a trombone.

I find it is great for getting the blood flowing if your lips are stiff. It also helps center the notes because I found I tended to lock in to the center of the pitch when I came back up from the bend.

5. awtrpt81

awtrpt81 New Friend

Jun 1, 2009
    Lip bends are great for finding the center of notes and for relaxing your throat. David Hickman has many examples in his books. I've also heard Phil Smith talking about using lip-bends in his practice routine.

6. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Bending is one of the important parts of the James Stamp method. Hardenberger says he starts each day with bending , finding the center is important as it helps you hit the center.

7. awtrpt81

awtrpt81 New Friend

Jun 1, 2009
    Not sure if it is still up on youtube or not, but there is a great documentary on Hardenburger where one of the first scenes features him warming up on long tones with lip bends. He says that it helps him to get all of the garbage out of his sound, or something to that effect.

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    There are also some aditional exercises where you instead
    "bend" the valves. For instance you can play the low C, then
    press valve1,2&3 (which corresponds to C#) but keep playing
    the low C. Continue in same style with other notes.

These exercises can also be found on youtube, I think . . .

9. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I call these "anti-bends". There are pages of them in the Laurie Frink Flexus book

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008