Benge 3X

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Apr 21, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I'm just curious. Found one for a decent price. Tone quality, horn quality?

2. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I guess it depends on what you like to hear in a trumpet sound! I can only speek from personal experience, both as the listener & as the player.

The last time I worked with a guy that played that model ... he'd been previously been playing a Bach 43* ... the Bach had a more solid core, and 100 feet out front projected better. However, under rather controlled circumstances ( a studio situation) the benge was very easy to play, very light / quick responce.

I prefer the old Kanstul made Bessons to the Benge trumpets (very similar) but that just personal taste.

Regards

3. PJB

PJB New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Niceville, FL
    Realistically, the quality of a used Benge 3X is going to be largely based upon its serial number (year of manufacture). In other words, is it a Chicago Benge (early '50s and earlier), a Burbank Benge (early '50s to 1971), a '70s LA Benge after King bought the company, or is it a late '70s or later Benge in name only, manufactured after UMI moved operations from LA to Elkhart?

There are some who firmly believe Benges with serial numbers above 8XXX - 10XXX are inferior. My personal opinion is not that restrictive. I bought my LA Benge 3X (serial number 12XXX) new in 1974, still play it, and it has been a great horn in both build quality and tone!

For more Benge info, go to http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Benge.html

4. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Some people really like them...It's up to you.
    Good luck, Molly

5. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Just bought one, 1975 (serial is 14xxx). Really quick response, lightweight horn, bright sound, very good fit and finish, nice core, lots of overtones, fits my preferences for slotting, valve stems seem quite tall to me. Overall I really like this horn. Mine doesn't seem to have the flat 5th partial that many Benges are said to have. It has a sweet quality to the sound. I bought mine off Ebay - minor plating wear in two spots, rest of the horn is spotless - for $525 and I think I got a really really good quality instrument for that price.

6. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    You can get some great deals on Benges. I have found great benges from the Burbank and LA Benge eras. Mt favorite one was a 3X MLP Burbank Benge. Great horns! Very responsive.

Mike