Benge Leadpipe Mouthpeice Gaposis

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Andromoda, May 6, 2010.

1. Andromoda

Andromoda New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    So I was looking at the lead pipe for my stock 3X ML Benge and noticed none of my Schilke mpc would seat into the leadpipe bore leaving a gap of maybe 3/8". This is first time I noticed this so shame on me - but this leads me to beleive I have had to over compensate for intonation issues in various registers since I played this horn.

Need I worry or should I call the Zig "The Docktor" Kanstul to a checkup?:dontknow:

Worried in Portland (and wet).

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Are you saying that you *want* the Schilke mouthpieces to have a gap of 3/8" in your Benge, but they don't? Or that they *do* have a gap of about 3/8", but aren't seating somehow?

3. Andromoda

Andromoda New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Like the gap between 2 front teeth - I have it now and beleive it is not optimal for playing since it causes the airflow to tumble since the interface delaminates the air causing resulting _______ what? I understand the science but not the result in playing and if it should not be that way. Heck my Olds Opera has the same issue with the Schilke mpcs so I am wondering if its the mpcs or manufacturers dont care.

Thanks for replying
    • Olds Opera O12
    • Olds Opera Cornet
    • Benge 3X
    • Schilke C4
    • Yamaha D/Eb
    • Conn Director Cornet

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Most instruments are set up for a mouthpiece gap of around 1/8". I have the tools for increasing or decreasing the gap without unsoldering anything.

5. Andromoda

Andromoda New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Ivan...
    Thanks for replying.
    Lets not drapg out the lathes and tube expanders just yet. If there is no real problem and applied practice reinforces that - then why chage it? I am looking for players that have actual experience with this sort of issue and can tell me not to worry.

so hold on for a bit
    Mayne

6. FrenchBesson

FrenchBesson Pianissimo User

Jul 2, 2008
    1/8" plus or minus..go practice