Benge Overhaul

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    My Benge is 30 years old and is in need of a serious overhaul. I live in the Kansas City Area, but am frequently in the Orlando Florida area as well. Any suggestions??? The lead pipe has bubbles forming on the plating indicating maybe some corrosion going on under it. Also I have always hated the third valve double slide and having to remove the extra slide for a water key. I would like to get an amado water key put on the 3rd valve slide and replace the standard water key on the main slide with an amado type as well. Plus valve work, maybe a valve alignment and a re-plate. Any other suggestions? How much can I expect to pay..

Thanks

2. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Well I assume you could send it out to whomever you like for the valve alignment, and any competent tech should be able to solder on an amado to the main tuning slide no problem. Where you run into issues is putting a water key on the third valve slide. That would require drilling a hole into your horn which can be a little tricky and might not turn out the way you expected. Whenever removing metal anywhere from a horn, there is risk for complications. As for the bubbles on the leadpipe, would you care to upload some photos because I do not understand what you mean by that... If you bought the horn used, it could very well just be spot plating, for example, my Benge has spot plating down the under side of the leadpipe but no internal corrosion so the only explanation would be that the previous owner had very oily/acidic hands. The bubbles could also be if someone tried to use a home plating kit to do some spot plating because that stuff will not stay on as it does not form a permanent bond as it would have you think.

3. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
  4. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Do you have any issues with the third valve slide coming out while you are playing? I use ultra-pure oils heavy slide grease on the outer slide of my third valve slide, but inevitably the valve oil that I use on the inner, or slide, portion of my 3rd valve slide makes its way into the outer slide, dilutes the heavy slide grease, and the outer 3rd valve slide comes out. I have a couple of very minor dents, and now the "grip" button is broke off to prove it. This is why I'd like to eliminate it and go with a water-key. Maybe I could just replace the entire slide??? As for a pic, I'll try to post, but I've had this horn since it was new. I put a lot of miles on it the first 15 years I owned it, and I've been back playing regularly (a couple of hours daily and an occasional gig) for about 2.5 years now. I've been considering a new trumpet (Bach, Cannonball, Schilke, Yamaha), but I really love my Benge.

5. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Del Quadro looks like a good choice to consider. Thanks!

6. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Ditto . . . 1st guy to come to mind.

There are others, but Michael sounds like a perfect match for the things you are seeking.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    As regards the bubbles - I had the same problem on a Buescher #9. turned out to be red rot underneath the silver plating... so it's not good news.

9. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I spoke with Mike today and he will be pricing a lead-pipe for me and then we will work out the details of the repair. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm feeling good about working with him. Just curious if any Benge 3MLP owners would recommend any modifications to the horn if it were yours? And if so, why?

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfZMm-v7hbM&list=PLD2F2955636D2E699

Played on a Benge 3X+ MLP.

Installing Amados is no big deal. I don't think you'll notice any difference in playability. I don't know Del Quadro but have heard nothing but good things about him. I can personally vouch for fellow Schilke Alumnae: Steve "Dr. Valve" Winans in Chicago and Rich Ita in Atlanta.