Benge Overhaul

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi,
    The Amado water key on the 3rd valve slide dump will look pretty clunky. You could send just the slide to Kanstul and get a more stock looking standard water key installed. I ordered mine with one in 1979 and it still works and looks fine. MDQ has a very good rep on this forum and he is local. You may want to consider the total enhancements offered by Flip Oakes or Osmun Music to get the most out of your horn as well. Hopefully you will be able to play it for another 30 years.
    Cheers,
    Brian

2. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Any idea what mouthpiece he's using? I've been using a Hammond 2mlx with mine for over a year now. It took me at least 6 months of playing at least an hour (usually more like 2 to 3) a day to get my endurance back with it, but my lower register was instantly 300 percent better with vs the jet tone I had been playing and it really didn't hurt my range. Very glad I made the change...........

3. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    After talking with Michael, I've decided to forego the water key on the third valve slide. He will tighten up the fit so it quits falling out. I've been looking at some of the "enhancements offered but would like to know if any Benge players have tried them and see what y'all recommend....

4. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Wow! Michael ordered a new lead-pipe from Kanstul and let me know it was in late last week. I shipped the horn to him on Monday and I get a call from him today saying it is finished. It will be here tomorrow. Now that's what I call a quick turn time! Can't wait to spend some lip time with it and see how the new lead-pipe will work out. Thanks for the recommendation!

5. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I personally use Hetman's Lubricant #7 which I apply generously to my third valve dump slide. So far, have not had any issues with it being stuck nor being too lubricated. Hetman's #7 gives smooth slide action while still maintaining a nice grip on the slide. I believe it is trumpetsplus who always says there are basically three reasons which slides/valves will get stuck: dirt, deformation, dents. You might be able to find a new third slide somewhere but it would be tough and would not be a guaranteed fit as they were machined to the specific horn.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I heard that he played on a Bach 7D. Dokshizer was an amazing player. I think that Nakariakov is his successor.

7. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I received my Benge back from Michael Del Quadro this evening. It not only looks great, but plays great as well... (at least the horn does it's part, not always true with the player... ROFL ) Again, I can not thank those that recommended him enough. Great work and a great price......and the turn time was phenomenal!!

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    First, I'm glad Michael got the job. He's done several jobs for me in the past and I've always been *very* happy with the work, the price, and the turn-around time.

I'm not the biggest fan of Amado water keys, but I'd rather have one on any third slide than no water key at all. One nice thing about having Amados on both the main and third slides is that you can depress both at once for a quick dump (assuming you believe Amados can "dump" at all).

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I played Benge 3x+ for years and I love them. My advice to you is to leave the horn alone as much as possible. Certainly get it fixed and all that, but I'd stay away from a lot of customization. The Benges play the way they do because of the way they are designed and built, messing with them can really screw things up.....just look at a new one from Conn/Selmer. And I'd make SURE that you get a leadpipe and receiver that are either from a Benge parts horn or an authentic design....Kanstul has all of the original tooling for the Benge so they may have or make you a leadpipe.

Best.

bigtiny

AND I JUST SAW THAT THIS REPLY IS OBSOLETE BASED ON THE THREAD ENTRY ABOVE (GOT THE HORN BACK). SORRY ABOUT THAT!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  10. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I loathe Amados. It the standard key for me, to the point where I would consider swapping them out on any Amado'd horn I was serious about. But that's just me. My Bb Benges have standard water keys on the third slides, the picc, C, and D horns have nothing. I can't recall ever having anything come out of the third slide dumps, so it's probably not that big a deal not to have one.