Benge Overhaul

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This thread covers a couple of themes. The "refresh" has been properly dealt with.

What concerns me is a request for possible mods without an extensive look into what is currently wrong for the owner. This is almost a guarantee for disaster. Granted, there are players that respond well to "pimping". The horn looks better and all sorts of BS is spread about the improvement.

I think that the owner did the right thing. If they need something different, don't take a chance on a successful horn. Buy something that more closely matches what you think.

2. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am thinking about writing a book on the Amado water key. When installed correctly they work fine - but not like a standard key. The reason is that they use a different scientific principle. A standard key has a chimney and high pressure causes it to "suck" the water out. An Amado has no chimney and a hearty blow merely forces the water deeper into the instrument. A gentle blow moves the water to the opened "drain" and it flows out by itself. Lower the testosterone and everything will be fine. Not everything on the trumpet needs tension and force.

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    For me I find the same is true of standard water keys. It's the gentle blow that gets out the water. Perhaps the degree is different. Disclaimer: I don't currently own any Amado-equipped horns except for the Getzen Frumpet. (And its third-valve key is standard.)

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Rowuk,

That would be a good article. Many of us grew up on the standard water key (spit valve in our day-though there is really little saliva involved) and are used to blowing hard and quick for the standard. At first I was not a fan of the Armado key because it didn't seem to work properly. As you indicated, I eventually learned to ease off on the blow and they work better. All other things being equal, I think I prefer the standard still as you can empty quickly when playing. The Armado takes a bit more time. Even a half second in playing can be important.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The standard water key is fine as long as the spring is not too strong. I had my C overhauled a couple of years ago and it sounded like crap when I got it back, hard to play, bad feedback, no fun. I asked for a detailed description of what was done, and when the spitkey spring was mentioned, I knew right away what was up. I didn't have anything else at the time, so I removed the spring and used a rubber band for the gig.

The problem is that you need tension for it to seal when using standard corks or neoprene. I make the corks out of soft mouse mats now and get away with minimal tension now. The Amados just work in comparison......

6. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    The man who probably built your trumpet, Zig Kanstul, is available in Anaheim California too. His business phone number is 714 563 1000. I had him work on my Benge and he did an excellent job.

As to the changes, I would suggest leaving it alone. Every time there is a modification there is the potential for destroying the horn's timbre.