Benge Silver Sonic

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Nov 22, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    What can anyone tell me about these horns? A guy in the Hullabaloo has one, and it really seems to play nice, though I only tried it for a few min. Anybody know something?

2. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I have never heard of a Benge Silver Sonic. I think you are probably referring to a King Silver Sonic. They were excellent playing horns.

Burbank and LA Benge B flat models Models were: 1X, 2X, 2X+, 3X, 3X+, 4X, 5X, 6X, and during the LA period, a CG and 7X models.

Mike

3. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Hey Aggie!

Check out Ebay, there are several SilverSonics available right now, one a cornet. They are high end Kings, very sought after. Most have Sterling silver leadpipes and, most interestingly, Sterling bells! I played one about 4 months ago, what a sound! The silver bell just rings, as you'd imagine it would, bright for silver. And the projection is incredible! Don't know why they went with silver leadpipes other than to keep the corrosion possibilities down but overall a great sound. You'll find most of them have lacquer bodies and as a King, the lacquer is seldom in good shape when you see one. My friend had his stripped and the whole horn buffed, nice bright, shiny horn and sparkling sound. Depending on condition I've seen these on Ebay for anywhere from $250 to $1200 for what appeared to be a perfect, straight out of the case horn. King didn't make many of these, can't seem to find the exact figures, but my friend told me his research said his horn was made circa 56 and was one of less than 50 made that year!

4. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    See, this is what bothers me. I'd almost swear I saw the Benge name on the bell, this horn is also not that old, he bought it new, or so he tells me. The sterling bell and leadpipe are dead on, so I know we're talking about the same horn, I'm just confused, I guess

5. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    You could have seen the Benge name on the bell. Since UMI took over Benge/King/......(who knows who else) they may have resurrected the model and just made it under the Benge moniker to give it more respect. Check out the Ebay Kings and see the difference!

6. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I just did and there is a difference, mainly in the bracing. When I first saw the horn, I noticed that it looked extremely like a Strad. It had gold trim on the valves, as well as on the slides, and a gold washed interior bell. I'd be willing to bet that this was just a limited run that UMI did trying to boost sales or something.