bent brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by crowmadic, Oct 22, 2006.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Is there a repair man (back yard or pro.) who can tell me the proceedure for removing a serious dent from the bell area of a trumpet. Do you heat the metal first? Do you reshape it with a mallet (what kind of head)? Or do you press it onto a bell form? Surprise me................

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You put the horn in your car and DRIVE to your repair guy and LET HIM DO IT!!

-cw-

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    That's how it got bent!

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Chuck, just kidding. It's not an expensive horn, and I feel like tinkering. By the way, get those fingertips on the valve buttons. Nah, i'm sure you're smokin'!

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Regardless of how it got bent in the first place, I gotta go with Chuck. I've had bent bells, dented bells and partially flattened bells. The service guy has always been able to "put it right" within minutes of getting his hands on the horn. I once watched him "rub" the bell with a leather mallet and take out a dimple that I had feared would leave the "reverse dent"... it was amazing to watch.

It would be fun to try some of this stuff on one's own... IF you had the proper mandrel, IF you had the proper tools, and IF you had a "junker" that you didn't worry about if it didn't work out.

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    "Junker" is the case. "rub the bell with leather mallet" is the kind of input i'm looking for, I hope I get more. Thanks Tootsall...

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have taken dents out with a hard wooden spoon. I wax the bell first to keep from marring it while "rubbing" the dent out. Alcohol takes the wax off afterwards.
    My wife is not overjoyed with this because we also use it when we cook spaghetti(in the mean time I have bought her a new one and have the old one for me).
    I have NEVER gotten a professional appearance doing it myself - it does look better than dented however.

8. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    "WHEN EVER I FEEL BLUE...I START BREATHING AGAIN!"

Thanks..Ro' that quip of yours.....cracksmeup! :) Trumpet players words to live by!!!

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel

Hmmmm...... It seems that by the responses to your inquiry, people here are non supportive of the proposed trumpet repair forum of which I think you could benefit from.

Getting back to your concern, do you think that a professional would part with his secrets if it meant that it would loose him income? This is a rhetorical question, no need to answer.

If you really want to tinker with the dent in your horn, go to a car body shop and ask them how they take dents out of doors, fenders, etc and then apply that knowledge in a scaled down fashion to your horn. I think that what they would say in simple terms would be to apply heat on one side and pressure on the other side. If you can find something with the correct curve and angle to make the dent flush with its surrounding area, you got it made. Now on what kind of heating device, angle device, hammers, etc………..well these go with the trade of repairing horns. Best bet would be to go to a friendly repair man and watch him do it for you. If he lets you in his work shop, you might want to buy him a beer or a box of chocolates.

Good luck,

Liad