Bernstein Feast

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by camelbrass, Jan 31, 2007.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I'm playing tonight and for the next 3 nights in a Bernstein tribute.

The first half is 'Trouble in Tahiti'. I hated it when I first heard it but after a couple of rehearsals with the full crew it's starting to grow on me. Typically tough key changes and time signatures but a bit of fun. Have you ever played it Wilmer?

The second half is excerpts from 'West Side Story'...all the good stuff. That original recording that you played on is still the model. Got that 'sound' firmly implanted in my head.

Thanks and regards,

Trevor

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I've played a lot of Lenny's music. "Trouble in Tahiti" is one of my favorites. The music from "On the Waterfront" has a special place in my heart. It's the only piece I know of that the composer tells you to obliterate the orchestra :cool: I loved playing that work with Lenny. Get the New York Philharmonic recording, Vacchiano is HOT!
    Wilmer

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Wilmer,

I'll look out for that recording.

This is my first real experience with playing his music. His arranging is extraordinary and without a doubt challenging but do you think he overdid it with mutes? It seems that just when I'm getting used to hearing myself properly I have to play a long muted passage although in 'Trouble' he does give you the odd 'let rip'..the end of secene one comes to mind!!

Regards,

Trevor

4. ilikethetrumpet

ilikethetrumpet Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2006
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Mr. Wise,
    Did you ever happen to play the Prelude, Riffs, and Fugue, or know anything special about it? We have a concert coming up here in Iowa with Richard Stoltzman in a couple weeks, and it's a ball to put together. Playing lead on it is the simple part compared to the fifth trumpet part--there are some nasty licks for harmon below middle C. Ouch! And the piano part is no laughing matter either. Great stuff.

5. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
  6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That's Eric Dolphy sitting next to Don, not Benny Golson. They didn't show the NYP trumpets:x
    Wilmer

7. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Thanks Dow !
    That's a beautiful clip for promoting jazz and explaining the discipline
    required for jazz and classical.
    It's unfortunate that the great jazz ambassador and sage (Nat Hentoff) who wrote the narrative wasn't included in the clip.

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston