BERP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FrancisA1915, Dec 20, 2005.

1. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    What are your thoughts on the BERP? I have heard several different opinions on this subject and thought I would ask.

thanks,

FRANK

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think it's a very nice idea, to be able to push the valves as you buzz. It's a good reinforcement for people with good ears.

ML

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Cant you just pull out the main tuning slide and get the same result? Just wondering....have never used the BERP. :dontknow:

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Pulling out the main tuning slide only gives you the partials......On a Bb trumpet you will hear (roughly) Concert Eb, then the next "note" (ascending) concert E (top space), then high C concert, then the concert E or F above that.............

Bill Adam encourages buzzing the leadpipe, as it helps to get your air going, and keeps you relaxed.

I do both leadpipe buzzing and BERP playing, and I do not consider them interchangeable. But when I blow the pipe, I keep the pitch on that concert Eb.

Another toy I have is something called a "Brass Short Cut." It is a small bell, with a receiver that actually fits a trumpet mouthpiece. Comes with tone holes. This is great for buzzing in the car.

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I really like it. But I must admit I hardly ever use it on the horn. I keep it in the car with a old mouthpiece. But using it in the car makes a mess of my nice pants though... when I get to work I have lots of water marks in a bad spot... ;-)

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I use a BERP device inserted into a homemade cylindrical piece of wood about six inches long with finger holes. This puts my fingers out about as far as they would be on the horn and mimics my holding the horn and fingering notes. That is the key to using these devices. Holding your mouthpiece only does not usually replicate the exact posture and positioning as when you are holding the instrument. It is much "healthier" to use one of these as a means to replicate that you are blowing through your instrument as opposed to "tooting" on your mouthpiece. My daily diet includes a bit of mouthpiece buzzing and I find this the most beneficial way to do it. I guess it is all personal taste.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm with Alex... I like having the valves and all at my disposal because it makes me more likely to play something musical instead of a drill. All that having been said, I haven't used it for years! But when I did use it I enjoyed it.

ML

8. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Who'd have thunk it? Manny BERPS!!!

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I must admit, I use the BERP more than the leadpipe or Short Cut. I like the ide of being able to use valve combinations. I think it helps my ear.

Having said that, I need to announce that I have been experimenting with a new technique. This has been a couple of years in the making, and the prototype is almost ready. This is a tool/technique that is designed to be used with and is very complementary to the BERP. I am having trouble coming up with a name for it, but I am leaning toward calling it the Fabulous Air Resistance Tool. I have been working with a well-known Physicist, Dr. Benjamin Dover, who is an expert in this area.

Stay tuned, and I will let you know when the product and method are ready.

Mike

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    :D

I love my BERP and use it every warm-up session to get things going (with a drone). It really has helped my intonation and is training my relative pitch...it seems much easier now to be able to pick almost any note and sing it and be real close.

*How many of us have tried to empty spit before buzzing either on the BERP or leadpipe? :roll: