BERP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FrancisA1915, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    My understanding is that Dr. Dover spent a lot of time in Mexico researching his tool. I've bean playing one on a limited basis and find it to be successful but limit my usage to once a day. Mike, I've found that large rooms aren't as good to use the tool. So, I've been employing his techniques in the smallest room in my house. It seems to work better.

ML

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Aw geez you guys!

(standing way over here in a big room) :shock:

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    A small room..yes. But shouldn't it be fairly live for the fullest effect?

4. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    Oh my. Spoken like true trumpet players.

:-o

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Just out of curiostiy, what is a BERP? I've been trying to figure it out on my own by what everyone is saying about it but I don't quite understand. Is it basicaly just a leadpipe with holes drilled into it like a recorder or something, like, a tool that makes the effects of mouthpiece buzzing more dramatic?

I have this weird picure in my head of something that looks like one of those litle plastic recorders, except its silver with a trumpet mouthpiece and a litle bell on the end....

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I've also found a small room works better, especially if the room has a lot of reverb. Tile or concrete floor works best, as carpeting can deaden the effect. I have a small room in my basement that is perfect for practicing with the Fabulous Air Resistance Tool.

I will let you know when the production model is ready, as I am looking for feedback.

Mike

7. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    It is an invention by Mario Guarnerio from L.A. In l986 he developed the Buzz Extension and Resistance Piece (B.E.R.P.) for all brass instruments. The first one was of metal, the second (the New BERP) of plastic.

Here is an interview I had with Mario:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/ntf/berp.html

Ole