Besson 2-20

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by jztrmpt01, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jztrmpt01

jztrmpt01 Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    I just got a Besson 2-20 after the deal on that Olds Super fell through.

Stinking Indian givers.

I've read many varied opinions on this horn, but it plays well with nice dark rich tone tone.

I've also read it was an intermediate horn, adn also a pro horn.

This is a 60's model.

If anyone can help clear this up I'd appreciate it.

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Supposedly they're intermediate models. However, I have one from the late 50's and I'll tell you it blows really well. Also, yes, it has a nice, dark tone to it- much darker than my Xeno. Its a good horn to play on.

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have a silver 2-20 from 1966 and it does play with a big sound and is well built. The bell pipe has a bigger bore than my 8-10 from the 50's, so much so, I have had to wrap tape around my cup mute for it to stick and also has a "bigger" tone than the 8-10. An 8-10 cornet that I used to have had the same large bore bell pipe. I would say and "intermediate". the 10-10, which I would love to have, is the pro horn. I think Byron Autrey worked on them, but not sure.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Bummer on the Super. jt01:-(
    Figures, you actually find a good Olds horn in our area, and then can't acquire it. Keep us appraised on the 2-20.......Buck:oops:

5. jztrmpt01

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    I will get pics up sometime soon.

6. BurningHills

BurningHills Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Hey John, can you give us some pictures and insight on the horn having owned it for a while now? I recently held an English made 2-20 from about the same time in a music store for just a moment, but was very impressed. Stirred the n+1 pot a little bit... Thanks!

7. jztrmpt01

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    HIlls,

I have had the horn while now by haven't done much with it.
    It has a few leaks and needs springs, pads, valve caps, bell straightened, etc.

However, It will be going in for repair in 2 weeks, when i return from TX. What I can play is light and aairy (from the leaks) LOL.

Overall a solid horn, Im not redoing this to make it gorgeous, just functional. I will try to get some before and after pics, eventually. I had alot of issues posting pics on here due to work safety poo on my laptop.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. jztrmpt01

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    MF,

looks very much like mine, without a patch, dent, and mine has a near satin finish now.

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    The local guy's estate his daughter is selling off, 40+ horns, was a fanatic about taking care of them, etc. I also bought a 53 Olds Ambassador at the same time, but it didn't play well for me, so I sold it. They come and they go!:lol: