BESSON BREVETE

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Claude Gnocchi, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Guys- Just got a vintage Besson Brevete, serial # 138531, really nice horn w/a broad/semi-thick sound. Quite different from my recent aquisition 1937 Martin HCI, but a very useful sound. Any opinions on these Bessons?

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Pretty sure it was a run of the mill student horn

3. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Found out a bit more about it; it is an English-made horn, 1950s. Like I said, it is not a "great" horn, but it is not a bad player. I only paid $80 and it looks good hanging on my studio wall.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Does it have a model anywhere on the horn? If it is a 10-10 or New Creation it is top of the Besson range, very good players, 3 of my friends played them for many years.

I have a 10-10, rescued from a dumpster at a school, bell bent back on itself halfway down the flare and bell bow flattened, straightened everything out, the softest brass of any instrument I have worked on, valves badly worn but with a thick oil plays well.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Stuart- It only says "Brevete" so I guess that is the model.....it is a pretty good horn...just not great, but a very "usable" horn, and for $80 what can I say?

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The post-war 'Brevetes' were assembled from assorted spare parts 'liberated' from France and have a variable reputation. Some approach the excellence of the pre-war authentic French Brevetes and you'll be hard pressed to find a still playable one of those for under $2,000; others don't. They should be marked F. Besson nevertheless, otherwise I'd suspect double-inauthenticity.

I was under the impression that they were all put together in the US, but they were confusing times.

7. Tom Pennell

Tom Pennell Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mr Google tells me that "Brevete" is French for patented.
    I have 2 English Bessons, a 2-20 and a 10-10, as referenced by Stumac. The 2-20 has no reference to Brevete, whereas the 10-10 has Brevete enclosed within a circle, topped with a star and the word Besson, on the bottom of the second valve barrel.
    I am guessing without knowing, that the inclusion of the word Brevete was reserved for the "top-of-the-line" Bessons. Then again, I may well be wrong.
    Regards, Tom

Claude Gnocchi likes this.
  8. Voltrane

Voltrane Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Paris
    Google is right, Breveté (with é) means Patented.
    My 1915 Besson cornet is a British Prototype Class A cornet and is Breveté. Same for my C British Besson @1930, same for my British Besson 10-10 (@1960). Funny because as British made Bessons I was expecting Patented...Does this mean the valve blocks (where it is engraved) were made in France? Don't know.
    So, something was patented in these models but I don't know what. But something technical (valve system?), not a design or a model, because it would be in French "Modele déposé" as engraved some old Selmer horns.
    Unfortunately we do not have enough Besson catalogues to find the right model of all these Breveté horns without any other marking...But as far as I understand it is not a model.
    Regards.

Claude Gnocchi and barliman2001 like this.