Besson Eb Cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Bill Dishman, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I am trying out a Besson Eb Cornet made in 1899. It is in incredible shape. The mp is the original with the flat rim and a very sharp bit. Very uncomfortable for me. I obtained a besson shanked Denis Wick and the feel is quite a bit better. It has a deep funnel bowl.

Question. Is the typical Eb cornet sound deep and full (like with the Wick mp) or should it be more resonant and lively as with a more "C" shaped cup?

Thanks...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Bill,

The original mouthpiece will give it the correct sound it was designed to produce.

Don't let the "cookie cutter" rim scare you. In the mid 1920s Vincent Bach forever turned the mouthpiece market around with the wider, rounded, "comfort rims" we use even today.

However, in finding a really comfortable rim . . . combined with the addition of the pinky finger hook on leadpipes (to play one-handed during mute changes and plunger work started in the 1920's too), players were exposed to horns that were soon mashed strongly against that new, wide "comfort rim" in order for new students to squeak out a higher note.

The result was a dramatic increase in pressure on the chops that continues to plague tons of players through the decades. IMHO, the "comfort rims" have cursed hundreds of thousands of young, potentially fine trumpet players to mediocrity due to learning to play with excessive pressure that they could never have done for three minutes on a "cookie cutter."

Again . . . DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE COOKIE CUTTER RIM!!!

Instead, avoid the pinky hook (if that horn even has one . . . which I doubt) . . . and learn to play on the original "piece" without pressure!!! It will dramatically improve your lip trills, flexibility and endurance if you'll master that "piece" . . . and those improvements will transfer back over to your "comfort rim" mouthpieces on other horns!

Remember . . . the sharp, flat, narrow "cookie cutter" rim provides the necessary air seal with exponentially LESS arm pressure needed on the chops. Once you "re-learn" not to use pressure on that currently "brutal" mouthpiece, you'll have amazing endurance, flexibility, etc. . . . IF you'll stick with it and discover what I've discovered.

Once I adapted to mine on my Boston 3-Star, I discovered that I could literally play on it all night with no loss of endurance or range!!! One huge worship seminar I played at (the photo is my avitar) had one event that lasted FIVE straight hours. As a matter of fact, that was the night of the photo . . . and I'd been playing that day also in morning and afternoon sessions. I truly felt I could go forever . . . and was playing that little Boston 3-Star cornet in the photo all the way up to Double Es all the way to the end of the night with no fatigue. (The green "rectangle" on the bell is the rubber clip of the AKG C-419 instrument mic of my wireless system I use at these events)

[​IMG]

Believe me though . . . that cookie cutter will nearly INSTANTLY tell you when you are using more pressure than needed (which won't be much)! If you heed its "warnings" . . . you'll see some cool results on every mouthpiece you play.

Sometimes I think we all screwed up when the "comfort rims" caught on . . . for they both allowed us . . . and required us, to use more pressure to get the needed air seal. Worse, they "allowed" young players the luxury of using really massive pressure on the lips to make short cuts that let 'em squeak out a high note in an improper way.

Call me crazy . . . but even though this is April Fools Day . . . I ain't kiddin" about what I've written! Try it, stick with it . . . and you'll see!

Sincererly,

Tom Turner

3. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Tom Turner is correct.

Only thing -- your lips will look like "Betty Boop's" (especially after playing for 5 hours).

Robert Rowe

4. KiwiKornet

KiwiKornet New Friend

Sep 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi! from a newby to TM and the Cornet..
    I started earlier this year, hired a Holton trumpet, didn't much like it, then bought a Blessing XL-CR Cornet via TradeMe the New Zealand equivalent of eBay. Mnaged to see it first though (phew!). It came with a beat up Jupiter 9E Mouthpiece. I Bought a no-name 4B via a local internet shop. I am leaning towards the 9E.
    Now, I make LOTS of water, I'm hopeless at the dentist! not the pain, but the drowning!
    So the mouthpiece often slips and slides all over my untrained lips...
    Would Tom's suggestion of a "Cookie-Cutter" work? I feel I need something to grip me, so I can relax a bit? Also something to help get the high notes..
    I don't want to spend heaps, or try lots of numbers, but suggestions please?
    Cheers! from KiwiKornet
    :play:

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I am a little confused...

I never posted this inquiry about the Besson Eb cornet. Someone else used my name.

Should I be concerned about this?

Bill Dishman (the real one)
    Gainesville, Florida