Besson Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetmasta, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    I've used mine for jazz, classical, band, and even (very little) pop. It is very multi-dimensional.

2. jbriddle

jbriddle New Friend

Nov 17, 2006
    Old Saybrook, CT
    I have always loved the Besson Brevete trumpets. I just purchased one and need to start my research into the trumpet. The serial number is 142xxx. The horn plays great and is raw brass. Does anyone know more about this model?

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Jeff,

the Besson Brevete stamp on the 2nd valve is only the patent mark, I think it appears on all French and English models, certainly on my 1904 cornet and 1950s 10-10 trumpet, the model should be inscribed on the bell.

Besson history is quite convoluted with factories in England and France, each having their own serial nos, when the english factory was taken over by Boosey and Hawkes in 1948 the serial nos were merged into their list.

Besson trumpets were commom here in Australia due to preferential trade agreements with England, Besson and Boosey instruments were the standard for Brass Bands here. Four of my friends played Besson New Creation model from the 1950s,

My 10-10 was given to me having been rescued from the rubbish bin at a school, the bell flair bent back on itself all the way around, throat bent at the forward brace Dizzy style, bell bow crushed all way around, zero compression in the valves. Having fixed most of the problems except the valves, plays quite well. the lightest of my horns at just over 2 lbs.

Regards, Stuart.

4. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    Its true that Brevette is on the second valve of many of the Besson horns, but when you say that you have a love for the Besson Brevette culminating in the purchase of one...along with the other horns owned as listed under your name, I'm going to assume that you mean either the French or the Kanstul MODEL. If that's the case, a good starting point is at the Loyalist site at the following address

The Besson Loyalist

Horn-u-copia, under catalogs also has some interesting information that may prove helpful. Good luck.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    My current Besson 8-10 from 55-57 is a fine player, though a bit rough about the edges. I used to have the next generation Besson 2-20 (silver) which was a big tone free blow horn. I sold it and it is now on ebay, a real steal at the selling price.
    Both are English made. My Besson 609 is a well built instrument that I have used often. I used to have and 8-10 cornet and a smaller Besson cornet (48) gave to grand kids. My latest is an Embassay 78 cornet ,60's era,Boosey and Hawkes which is in good shape an plays very well. It is very much( not surprisingly) like the 48 Besson cornet.