Besson/Kanstul International vs 1968-69 Severinsen

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Artifex, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Artifex

Artifex New Friend

Oct 13, 2014
    Omaha Nebraska
    OK, more questions, much appreciation to everyone sharing their expertise. Due to the LOUSY weather last weekend I did not get to look at the Getzen Severinsen, and another horn popped up in my 250 mile radius. It's a Besson International in very, very nice shape, has "Kanstul" and USA stamps. Same $600 price range as the Severinsen, looks to be in excellent condition.

This is meant to be a step up horn for my young son, he plays in concert and jazz bands and his Yamaha YTR will become his practice horn. What are your thoughts on these two horns for that purpose?

Again, mucho thanks for all sharing all your expertise - this is a great community!

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Kanstul makes great horns. Havent played a Severinson before. Not saying the Kanstul is better, but it is a good horn. If you go with it, offer $500 and see what happens.

3. F.E. Olds Nut

F.E. Olds Nut New Friend

Apr 7, 2013
    Detroit
    I've owned several copies of both and are excellent horns. I do a good amount of both lead and section playing in big bands and they are some perfect for the job. I would, however, place the Severinsen a little above the Kanstul because I prefer Getzen valves

4. EternaBT

EternaBT New Friend

Dec 24, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been playing a 1974 Getzen Severinsen since new (since high school), and it is a fantastic instrument. The valve action is still good as new, which isn't unusual for Getzen valves. I tried a Kanstul several years ago (a Model 1500 I think; it had a copper bell, and was a very pretty trumpet) when I responded to a Craig's List ad for the horn. I compared playing both trumpets with the same pieces of music and the Kanstul couldn't come close to the Getzen in regard to overall tone and response. Needless to say I did not buy the Kanstul.

5. Artifex

Artifex New Friend

Oct 13, 2014
    Omaha Nebraska
    Thanks folks! I picked up the Severinsen yesterday and wow! My son can't put it down.