Besson Stratford info

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kclc16, Mar 5, 2008.

1. kclc16

kclc16 New Friend

Mar 4, 2008
    I recently pulled a Besson Stratford out of my closet (had it over 50 years). Needs some work. Anyone know where I can get parts (springs and other valve parts).

2. kclc16

kclc16 New Friend

Mar 4, 2008
    My father bought this Besson for me around 1956. Serial #231259. I think its worth getting into shape. The valve pistons are in good shape. I am missing a finger button and the brass piece under the button. I would also want to replace the washers, pads and springs

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    As an owner of a Besson 8-10 trumpet and almost owner of a Stratford and doing what research is possible, and trying to get parts myself, I would say , try and find parts horns for your project as cheaply as possible and hope that horn's parts are better than yours! The valve pistons stuck on the one I almost bought, even tho they looked clean. The have a different piston design than other Bessons.
    There have been some opinions they were made by another factory. I liked the dark sound. I did know a person that had many stratford, but she lost everything in a fire. You might try The Bandroom Parts/Pads: Trumpet Tuba Saxophone Clarinet They have a lot of parts. I think the STrat had internal springs, in a casing? Mine are external and the generic works ok. You might need felts? Your local music tech can supply those, or different size sets are sold on the web. I don't know of any place to buy parts "off the rack" for those old foreign horns. If you had an Olds or Conn that year, you would not have much trouble.
    Another thing would be posting an want ad for parts in the classifieds here and on TH. Good luck

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The stratford I had, had the same valves as the International and the springs were the same as the sovereign cornet so you should be able to get parts relatively easily.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks Gordon, very useful information to clear up a little of the mist. I guess all is not lost! :-)