Besson Stratford

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by buzzer, Aug 8, 2004.

1. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Anyone familiar with a Besson trumpet model called a Stratford? Never heard of that model - in a pawn shop some distance away so can't eyeball it. Just says "older model" . Help?

2. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Have learned a bit more about this particular horn - also posted info on the ITG forum site. Horn made in Germany, serial number 322583 gold finish, MP with horn says 7-0 on it also made in Germany. In typical rough condition physically, a few dents in the usual places, valves work very well however. No specific dates of manufacture indicated. Besson site only lists serial numbers up to about 141K 1952, but this may be a different breed of horn than is listed on that site. Has origional case which is in rough shape, probably a blue/greyish color when it was new.
    Any thoughts on this horn?

Al

3. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Informed about website that has all the serial numbers from Besson - indicates this horn dated 1966. Not worth dumping a few hundred bucks into in that case for a student level horn.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Quite the conversation you had with yourself. :D

We were all so helpful -- NOT!

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I tried looking up the Stratford line, but the closest thing I found was a TROMBONE Besson collector. He had every line they produced, and the only one he didn't know anything about...... You guessed it...... Was the Stratford line. Sorry I couldn't be of any assistance, but am glad you could discover something about them.

Van

6. T Bone

T Bone New Friend

Jan 17, 2013
    Bonnie Scotland
    In order not to create a whole new thread; I've seen another Besson Stratford for sale, this one has "Made in England" on the horn, as well as the Besson name inside a 16th note with the word "Stratford" inside the body of the note. It is silver plated, looks in decent condition but (as in the OP) it is in a pawn shop too far away to really eyeball or have a shot at.

Has anyone any experience with these horns, is it worth throwing a small amount of money at?

7. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    If you are looking to purchase an inexpensive but quality horn of the Besson label I suggest the 609 model. It's very well made and is in fact built by Kanstul. They are really good instruments.

I would probably only consider early french model bessons or those built by kanstul. Good luck. A mint condition 609 can be had from 150-300$ depending on market and seller.

9. T Bone

T Bone New Friend

Jan 17, 2013
    Bonnie Scotland
    Hmmmm, thanks folks! Food for thought! I'd heard that it had quite a nice tone, and I was enticed by it being English made, which I'd hoped was an indicator of quality manufacture.

At about £30 (around $45?) it might be worthwhile as a wee project, if it is rotten it is pretty enough to be an ornament :) . I'm a student-level player just coming back to the instrument after about 14 years so not too concerned about sounding amazing at the top end of the register just yet, and I have a reliable Bach TR300 to depend on and this is just a little flight of fancy!

10. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Your Bach trumpet is better than the Besson, so (IMO) you'd just be wasting cash. Or get a nice sounding mute instead. It would not be an improvement you'd just have two okay horns.