Besson Trumpet Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The most sought-after Besson trumpets are from France and are the Meha models. Many well-regarded trumpets were patterned after that one. The English horns don't command the same prices in my experience.

3. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    so you think its not worth investing in one?

i sorta wanna get a vintage experiance

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I think the Stratford was a student grade instrument, well built, dates from mid to late 50s or early 60s. ?The top Bessons of the period were the 10-10 and New Creation.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    so is it a good trumpet for a 1 month playing student?

Its english made, so surely itll be better than my asian one.

6. Alasdair

Alasdair New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Lowther Hills, Scotland
    If you like the look of it and you want to give it a go, maybe check with the seller whether or not all the slides are free, and then go for it.

Just make sure you set your limit and don't go mad with the bidding! If it's not for you later you can always try and punt it on ;)

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    yer well the seller said its in great condition, no dints, valves slide smoothly and still has a fine tone.

I did some research on them and those trumpets were generally made in the 60s. So its pretty old and sorta something i want. From what others have said, they are good trumpets, obviously not the best, but good student trumpets.

I basically wanan get rid of my cheap asian horn and get some sorta of european crafted horn with a vintage sound and that fits my budget. Well this is it!

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    What is your budget price? be prepared that it may go for $ 200+, a friend got a very nice Yamaha 2320 for $275 last week, usually there is a flurry of bidding in the last minutes of the auction if it looks like going cheaply.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    yer well it really depends.

This is not my dream trumpet, i sorta just decided getting it on the spot.

When im seriously going for a new trumpet, ill spend a decent amount.

For now though, im willing to spend $150-200 max. Don't really wanna spend more cause i have a trumpet at the moment. But if i can get that trumpet for the price im happy with, then i can get rid of my asian horn and get something more decent.

There will be last minutre bidders, how much more will it go? i am not sure. But we are in Australia, and this is a trumpet, not a guitar. Nearlly all the trumpets ive seen on bids usally only has 3-4 bids max. I might have a chance to get this below $200. Fingers crossed ofcourse.

I just hope it sounds good - at least better than my marquez asian horn

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Good luck, I will watch but not bid against you, I have one vintage Besson 10-10 and dont need another.

Regards, Stuart.