besson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cj_1993, Nov 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cj_1993

cj_1993 New Friend

Sep 12, 2011
    My household just aquired a new besson model 1387706, i have been working on getting it into a good condition again and it occured to me, what if all of this worth is wqorthless so thats when i come here. can Yall give me some information on this trumpet model. is it typically a good model year. how much is it worth? Thanks in advance for the help

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    We need more information than a serial #, which is what you provided. Most trumpets with that name on them are OK, but some were built in remote parts of the world where they aren't too exacting about building them.

3. cj_1993

cj_1993 New Friend

Sep 12, 2011
    ok it has made in england stamped onbell and right above it, it has LP it has the logo right above the serial number. its a brass color trumper , its made in 1948 and that i can verefy from the previous owner. she was given it in 1950 as a birthday present. its weard, instead of the third valve having the slide stop with a screw the tuning slide has this. ill get back with more information later on it whan i look at it closer

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    So far it sounds good. Having a stop on the tuning slide sounds like it's a model which will play in Bb, and with the slide extended to the adjusted stop, in A. LP means Low Pitch, which indicates it will play in tune with modern day standards, as opposed to the old standard which was higher pitched, and labelled HP.

Look for more numbers, and if you can take photos, upload them to a photo hosting site like Photobucket, and then you can embed the links in a post here. There is a good possibility you have a really decent horn.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Exception to "quality of remote", is those made by Kanstul under contract to Besson (Boosey-Hawkes), but of course were not made in England. I am referring to a model 609 as is an upper end student model IMO. I too have one that Charles told me was a special, but I'd still class in student quality.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    The Besson should only have 6 serial numbers. The first six would put it in the 48-52 range. I used to have a 1948 cornet.
    Instrument Specifications where instrument="Trumpet" and maker="Besson"
    ID 7636 of a Besson Brevete trumpet with serial 137xxx could be similar to the poster's. Besson in England made good quality instruments. I have had several.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hi,

Hopefully you have checked out the following site:
    The Besson Loyalist
    It give the good, bad, and ugly of the various makers of Beeson, plus tips for help determining which you have.