Best Book for a beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 714TptPlyr, Feb 14, 2010.

1. 714TptPlyr

714TptPlyr New Friend

Feb 12, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I am a college student on the way out(graduating not dropping out) and I am going to take on some students. Im going to start with beginners, and Im wondering what the best book to start a new trumpet student on is. I think that clark and arbans would be over their heads at this point.

Any Suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I've had good results using" Breeze Easy" books with my beginning students.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Easy Steps To the Band

4. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello 714TptPLyr. One of the best internet sites to order Music lesson books. Is SheetMusicPlus.com . I like the Standard of Excellence books by Bruce Pearson. The Book One&Two can be bought with the Enhanced Comprehensive Band Method. Both of these books, have excellent play along lesson CD's,etc. There is also a Book three. The Best in Class,Book One and Two also by Bruce Pearson, are excellent lesson books. Some other good lesson books are the First Arban and First Arban book Two,by Carl Fisher, to help along your fast learning students. Lot of stuff on this site for any type playing. Prices are real reasonable, and may have school and Band rates for bulk buying. Check the site out. Good luck.

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I like the old Tune A Day book.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arban and Clarke, plus plenty of easy tunes. They are suitable for beginners and if the students REALLY practice 20 to 30 minutes per day, you will be amazed how quickly they learn.

If some the lessons end up being baby sitting services, then it really doesn't matter........

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    When I was a total beginner, my teacher started me with Clark's "Elementary Studies." I think it was a good idea.

8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Standard of Excellence
    Foundations for Superior Performance
    Rubank
    Basis of Elemantary Band
    Arbans
    ALL Clarks
    Alot of church hymns and ballads

The main thing is to stress the importance of practice to them but to also keep it fun.

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Rubanks or Arbans.

When I started they suggested the Rubanks, and I played that untill it was obvious I was serious. Then my teacher insisted I pick up an Arbans.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    All I can say is I wish I had Arbans when I started. Although the old tune a day book aint bad. It has plenty of easy tunes like rowuk suggests

Cheers

Andrew