Best books for range studies?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    I'm only a freshman and I'm only on Arbans book. I have a good sound and technique, but my range is as stated in the book. Ultimately I've hit a plateau with my range. Like Arban says in his book I can play a Bb decently, but anything after isn't pretty. I'll peak at about a C or C# with a 3C. So what would be some good books to look into to increase/clarify my range? Suggestions are appreciated thanks.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    No books needed yet--there is plenty in Arban's to be learned as a Freshman. Page 12, #9 play it through as written, then repeat an octave higher. In addition, long tones starting say, at f on top of the staff:start p, crescendo to f, decrescendo back to p. Proceed by half-steps.

Have fun.

3. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    " In my opinion, any exercise in the Arban Book can be transposed up half steps and made into a upper register study."
    Bill Vacchiano

Open the throat of your (Bach) 3C to a 24 drill.

Practice parts 1 & 2 of Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach To Daily Practice"

Read Bill Knevitt's book, "The Truth About How To Play Double High C on Trumpet"
    Upper Register Development

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The upper register does not yield itself easily and should be viewed as a long term process because, it is. There are hundreds of books and methods in publication on the subject. Some are good, some are just crazy. What helped me was to avoid the "get rich quick" style books and instead look at how the greats of the trumpet world developed their range. Then you need to take it one half-tone at a time. Altering equipment could help OR make it worse and I wouldn't recommend it as an option yet. I know players that knock out DHC's with symphonic sized mpc's and your 3C really doesn't fall into that category. If you read these posts, so far, all have mentioned half-tone/half-step increments as the method you should take. Develop that philosophy and you should be well on your way.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities
    Irons 27 Exercises
    Clarke Technical Studies (do them 8va as chromatic range builders)

Follow the instructions carefully (play soft, slow, and rest plenty)

Be patient.

Start learning about apeture control and tongue level.

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    The basic exercise for developing the upper register is using the major arpeggios going up. Young players should start on a low C, more experience players on a low f#, and advanced players should start on pedal C. Working your way up by half steps all the way to the top. Don't go any high that you can comfortable go. Another useful exercise is using intervals: use a major chord going up, half step on top of that, drop the octave, and then back up. And glissandos.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Cat Anderson has a book for range building. There is a link on TM for this version. I have reviewed it, and tried a few of the exercises. Interesting concept, but may not be for everyone. I personally have not used it, as I already have already achieved the range in his book, but then I earned the old fashion way... years of study, years of practice, and at my old age... years of having the ability to develop a large volume of HOT AIR!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OMG!!!!! TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ;-) My post count is evidence of that! BTW-You are not that far behind my friend.:oops:

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    A little birdie told me that quality trumps quantity when it comes to posting here. Toujours modeste, zey say.