Best Cool-down exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garlory84, May 31, 2011.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Make that a 2+.
    Rich T.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I agree - never seen an accomplished player use or recommend a "warm down".

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Does it hurt? Please just a simple yes/no. I was taught to "cool down" with pedals. As far as it being stupid, seems to be a logical question asked by someone who didn't know but wanted to.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sorry, I guess I'm just a post-holiday grump today.

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    LOL Wilmer!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No problem, I don't wanna work either!:lol:
    Here's an oldie but a goodie concerning lactic acid build up in muscle tissue. I don't truly know if "Pops" qualifies as an expert, but having been an athlete and bodybuilder I understand the importance of cooling down after a workout and/or performance. My son is a Division 1 NCAA athlete and cool down exercises are not optional after a game or practice. This is done to alleviate the lactic acid buildup and prevent soreness and severe cramping later. I learned the hard way that it is necessary or extreme pain is just around the corner. As for me, I'll do my cool down with pedals whether others do or not until such time that I find it is injurious to my chops.
    lactic acid - trumpet players' fatigue

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have seen suggested warm downs in some books like Stamp warm ups (notice that the title of the book is warm up however) and the warm ups of Maurice Rippas, but have never seen anyone doing them after a gig...

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well to be picky, I've never heard the term "warm down" until it appeared in this thread. Any strenuous exercise/performance makes the body "hot" (thus perspiration/sweat occur for cooling purposes). The term I've always used (cuz others used it) is "cool down" (body stops perspiring/sweating). I don't know though, I'm not an expert.;-)

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Again.................When the gig is over, I put the horn in the case and leave. I am citing MY experiences in the profession. When I was a student I practiced the same actions. I have NEVER had any chop problems, and I have played some of the most taxing gigs known to man..............Put the horn in the case and relax!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's all good!:lol: