Best Cool-down exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garlory84, May 31, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I almost always "cool down" by playing a few minutes of low note, and maybe some pedals if I have been pushing the limits.
    FYI -- these cool downs have never hurt me!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ONLY TIME I TAKE WILMERS ADVICE - "TO JUST PUT THE HORN IN THE CASE" --- IS ONLY WHEN I GET FRUSTRATED WITH MYSELF ---- and by the way, that method of "quitting while I am frustrated" --- that apparently has never hurt me either.

BUT I prefer to "cool down the lips/face muscles" with a few minutes of lower stuff -- and after all I am the KINGTRUMPET -- everyone should listen to me instead of WilmerROFLROFL

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!roflroflroflroflroflrofl

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is this: I end my session with high G stuff? What kind of practice is that? Who cares? If you end your sessions with high tension, what are you teaching your body? Lip slur down to petal tones? Sounds like something copied and pasted from the internet.

This thread sounds like BS and trouble at the same time.

You don't need a warm down. You need a reality check and a teacher to work out a common sense routine that builds chops instead of wasting them.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    add rowuk to our list -- but tobylou8 -- I still prefer to "cool down" with some low notes, and maybe some nice fat sounding pedal tones -- but then again I am kingtrumpet --and I am awesomeROFLROFLROFL

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    KT seems to watch too much wrestling shows...

6. dstrad

dstrad Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Warm down = NONSENSE!. The best way to warm down is to go to the refrigerator and open one of those bottles that dispenses cool frothy yelllow liquid.

7. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    eeww...I hope you don't mean that yellow liquid:roll:

8. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    That's what I usually do- Go down chromatically through pedal tones as low as I can get.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That's all I have ever done!

And NO CLIENT wants to hear you "warming down" after a gig.

Put the thing away and go home! (or wherever)

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I was told never to "warm down" with pedal tones. If fact, I was taught to never warm down at all and just put the horn in the case. I've worked with some great trumpet players and have never seen any of them "warm down".
    Besides, this is not an athletic contest. Did you ever see a major league pitcher go into the bullpen to "warm down"? How much lactic acid can you build up in a small portion of your lip anyway?
    Rowuk is right. It's internet BS.
    Rich T.