Best Cool-down exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garlory84, May 31, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ewwww! is that "strained carrot baby food"?? you are definitely out there my friend - but to each his ownROFLROFL

3. dstrad

dstrad Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    By yellow and frothy I meant beer! Hope that clears it up folks!

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I will not argue with Wilmer, Rowuk, or any others. I simply do not have the experience or credentials. Plus, I respect their standing. All I can tell you is what I like to do. When short for time or my chops are too tired from practice, I "do" just put the horn in the case. But, if I have gone through my routine and I have some reserve to spare, I do some chromatic slurs from low C to pedal C. I need the extra practice to pitch these notes properly; it is important to my teacher. Pedals almost completely renew my lips. My corners are still tired, even more so after the pedal work but the lips feel great, i.e., like they were messaged. It makes my second practice session in the evening a bit easier to start off with.

BrotherBACH

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure about that. After reading about the energy and enhanced mental function you can achieve after drinking FAB, I'd be taking the horn back out of the case to get in some enhanced playing time.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe it is internet BS, but if it isn't, the poster was referring to a practice session, not a gig. I can't cool down after my gig, even if I wanted to. I suspect the poster is confused about high G though. Pitchers routinely ice their shoulders (although these days most don't pitch full games anymore so it may not be needed as frequently) after a game. Again, does it hurt? Some teachers say yes to cooling down, some no.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes you could. BUT, should you warm-up first after you've cooled down???!!!ROFLROFLROFLROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, cooling muscle down with ice can help by minimizing an inflammatory response to strained muscle. That's the key point, if no strain is felt, icing down makes no sense. In this case, just put the horn in the case. If strain is notice, a gentle ice message, moving a cube across both lips, will keep muscle from becoming inflammed, acutely and improve the ability to start out and maintain pretty much as usual the next day.

HOWEVER, you can over do it and this will hurt or burn your lip. So never hold the ice at one place very long. Use a messageing motion. Stop when you feel the lip first go numb. Never message for more than 20 minutes. Follow this advice and thiings will be safe.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Should the ice be floating in something?;-)

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have a bottle of "ice water" with me when I practice. I have found it very soothing on the lips. I do not depend on it and can do without out it. But, I like having the icy cold dink while I rest between exercises. I believe is helps.

BrotherBACH