Best Cool-down exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garlory84, May 31, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Excellent post, and I believe you (you are a doctor ;-))!

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    G, (can I call you G?):

You are right, physicians are people and people aren't always right no matter how much education they may have.

You'd have to panel a significant number of docs to get a meaningful consensus, true enough.

My goal was to share the view of a world class MD who also plays trumpet as a counter to those who "think" they understand physiology just because they read something about lactic acid on the internet.

There's a lot of BS (as rowuk said) on the internet, particularly when it comes to health issues. Sometimes its good to actually ask a professional their opinion rather than surfing the web for answers, especially when it involves one's health.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wonder what the OP thinks about our "discussion". They ask a simple question and it turns into name calling and a medical diatribe that while interesting, doesn't really address the OP's "issue". Is there BS on the Internet? Yes! Is there BS on this forum? Yes! Is the "cool down" method odious enough that it needed to be "countered"? :huh:

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not an M.D. ... but I too have read the stuff about lactic acid and getting rid of any buildup in your lips. NO IDEA if it's true, bunk, bs or otherwise.

All I'm going to say on this very touchy subject (almost as bad as a MP thread:lol:) is that warming UP with loose lip flapping has made my lips feel better, and buzz better. I don't actually care why ...... it works for me.

Warm down? Sounds like a loud, bad idea after a gig. After practice? No idea. I've never done it.:dontknow: I agree TL ..... the OP is probably running for the hills. That'll teach him to ask such an incendiary question!:evil:

Turtle

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, G is fine. Your physician has about a 25% chance of being more correct than the internet. Yes, do ask a professional, but then do not feel intimidated by then asking that professional, as to his/her source and if they would not mind sharing this source for you. By the way rowuk is right again... and again... and again!

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I've never warmed down. Wipe the horn down maybe and give it a soothing bath later.
    There have been many times when I had ADD pianists that played the intro before I even had time to warm up. I walked up on stage playing. We DO need to warm up for a few minutes though.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually the OP was: Hey I was wondering what the best way to end a practice session is? I'm commonly in the high-G area by the time I'm ready to stop and at that point I lip-slur progressively down to petal tones. Is this the best way? Thanks.

And so far, the BEST answer was only two posts away from this initial post: Put the horn in the case.

Then the discussion started placing perspectives based on rationalizations. Rationalization is what we has humans have over all other life forms (except perhaps maybe for TrumpetKing). I am guilty for putting the medical spin onto the discussion, but I really do feel the need to place an accurate perspective when medical parallels are being intuited. This is how my profession is titled: Doctor, which really means teacher. So it is within my very fiber that I feel obligated to teach what I know best to this TM forum that has taught me what they know best... the trumpet.

As for lactic acid, it is a NORMAL metabolite of anaerobic metabolism, when muscle is metabolizing at a faster rate than an oxygen source can provide. Lactic acid is then placed into a cycle that generates ATP (the real energy source that life on earth) relies on. Granted, it is less efficient than the Krebs cycle, but it gives us the trumpet players the ability to play on. See all this biochemistry has been created JUST FOR US TRUMPET PLAYERS! Too Cool Ha?

Nothing wrong with this acid generation as our blood has the ability to buffer it, carry away the acid as CO2 and we exhale it into a flurry of bebop lines from our horns. All is right with the world, the music is great and the rest of the world enjoys it! So don't get hung up on lactic acid.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    To elaborate on that last post by G. I'd add that the face muscles involved are exceedingly small and very well vascularized compared to the large groups where lactic acid buildup is a concern (legs, arms, torso). That means that the absolute amount of lactic acid produced would be pretty limited and the ability to remove it comparatively better. Think of the relative masses of thigh muscles vs those making the embouchure, it's got to be around a 1:100 ratio. And the individal cells are nowhere near the size encountered in the large muscles.
    For myself, I never had a "sore muscle" feel in any muscle involved in playing trumpet. I'm also a firm believer that there is much more than just muscle involved in playing. So I'm skeptical about the lactic acid thing. However, that does not mean that a cool-down does not have beneficial effects on muscle memory, relaxation, circulation etc...

Whatever works for you. I'd say even if a cool-down routine gives you only the impression that it helps, it's worth doing. Who cares what others opinion are? They're not the ones doing it.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, there is something to be said for psychosomatics!

Personally since I started keeping an old photo of Maynard in my wallet
    I can play well over double high C's for hours a t a time! :laughwave: